Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Camp Tak It Ezy



Today's picture is another Summer Camp picture from the 1920's. The sign on the tree reads Tak it Ezy, so this looks like my kind of summer camp. I am enjoying reading your camping memories in the comments. One of the big memories I have of summer camp that has not been discussed much are the practical jokes. I remember summer camp being filled with kids playing pranks on each other. When I was at summer camp, this one kid fell asleep before everyone else. He was really out. His name was Billy Charles Gunstead. So he is over there snoring away, and the rest of us are awake. So, we walk over, and very gently, with three people on each side of his cot, pick the cot up. He does not wake up. So we start walking with it. When he starts moving, like he is disturbed, we would put the cot back down. Anyway, we walk him about three miles into the woods like that. Then we put the cot down and come back to camp. It was about 3:00 in the afternoon the next day that he finally found his way back to camp. I have often wondered what he thought when he woke up in the middle of nowhere.

DOMESTIC UPDATE:

The young lady formerly known as the Lovely Ms. EAM has decided to declare Intercontinental Internet War on me. I would invite you to read back over all my posts to see that I have treated her with nothing but the utmost of respect. She really started prodding me on Monday on her blog. I ignored it figuring it was just some form of latent post traumatic rebellion going on, and then she unloaded with both guns yesterday, and I feel at this point that her insolence and malfeasance can not go unpunished. After all I have done for her . . . changing her diapers, home schooling her for 12 years, paying for her college, and keeping a roof over her head, and then she bites the hand that has fed her. 

So, she wants to play hardball huh. Well, two can play that game and she picked the wrong internet opponent to cross I say. I keep reading her writing . . . "You can not touch me, I am in Africa . . . You can not touch me, I am in Africa".

I throw down the gauntlet and declare war back on her. She will now be known as the Detestable Ms. EAM. 

Oops . . . look whose pickup got left parked out back by Chickie Town:



Oh my, is that Handsome Jack, Joaquin, Sonny and Junior all up on the shiny new pickup? I wonder who put the pickup out there and left it? And what is that up top under Handsome Jack . . .perhaps we should take a closer look


Now that is going to leave a mark. Blahahahaha! Its On Like Donkey Kong!

Internet watchers are holding their breaths to see which side the Evil Nate Maas takes in this Intercontinental Internet War. To date he has remained quiet but all expect him to weigh in shortly.

12 comments:

  1. The aluminum canoes were lighter and easier to paddle, but if the wind came up on a big lake, because they are light they float high in the water the wind would push you right to the shore line. We that happened to me once, and it was the last time I used one. From that day on, I always took a old fashioned wood one, like the ones in the photo. That was in the days before fiberglass canoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess she forgot a couple of things. The first being you can go to Africa also. The second is she will one day come home from Africa. And third you have an army of followers that can give you many, many practical joke ideas that are tried a tested on others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry wrong canoe story earlier.

    While I was at Scouting camp one summer. Three of use were out in one of the sleek wooden canoes. We had a guy come by and buzzed us in his boat. This was in the mid-fifties, so there weren't a lot of big boat around then. He had a 35 HP Johnson motor. It kind of ticked us off the way he laughed at us because of the waves he made with his wake.
    So we decided to see what all our training could produce. We started to chase him down. We got our rhythm going and put our "pedal to the metal", so to speak.
    You should have seen the look on his face when we caught up to him. But we gave up after that, because we were pretty well spent.
    But we had a great time see what we could do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't you start to worry about Billy when it took so long for him to get back to camp. Didn't you have thing that can eat you down there in Texas. I know we have bears and mountain lions up here in North Dakota. Our Scout camp was right on the Canadian border.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PJM, I think you are in BIG trouble. If I were you i would be very careful about what practical joke stories I put on line. You may wake up three miles out in the Kenyan wilderness one morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh me, oh mah! uve gone an did it now! stirred up a honets nest ya have! run fo tha hills! ah sense feud a comin!! whaz in tarnation did ya hafta gone and does thet far?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. PJM:

    Congratulations on your daughter's accomplishments. You and Mrs. PJM have obviously done an outstanding job as parents. Most young people who graduate with a nursing degree would sign up for the highest-paying job possible - not travel to Africa. You should be very proud of her.

    Re the canoes, I went to summer camp here in Rhode Island, but it was day camp (Girl Scouts). We didn't use the canoes as far as I remember - I only remember throwing up because I was afraid to go there in the first place, and my mother made me do it. I never WAS the outdoorsy type.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats why you always get a dark color vehicle. Ya never know when a holigan is going to stick a turd on it. The fact that you measured it completly cracked me up. I'm sure the lovely EAM is not going to take that! My practical joke story at camp is that one night we snuck up on another troop through the woods and cut the lines holding their tents up. As we were running away in the dark I ran into a clothesline that caught me right in the mouth. It gave me 2 cuts on either side of my mouth. A few 5 guys from the other troop jumped on me while I was down. Then some of my friends came back and jumped on them. We lost swimming privledges the next day but everyone thought it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our camp was on a lake. One night three of us snuck down to the waterfront. We got in an aluminum rowboat and went over to the girls waterfront area. We docked there and gathered the tow lines from all the rowboats, canoes and sailboats and towed them out to the middle of the lake. Then we dumped the lines leaving the boats adrift. It all went al planned until we noticed the night sky was no longer black with stars. It quickly became an active thunderhead shooting out lightning all around us. Ground strikes were common at the camp and we were sitting in this aluminum death bucket. We never rowed faster in our lives.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr. PJM, Ms. EAM did mention at the war declaration Monday that you can be a little mean. Heh.

    Have fun. I know we'll have fun watching.

    ReplyDelete
  11. On a boy scout camp on Catalina we also ended up carrying a guy all the way to the end of camp and left him there

    ReplyDelete