Sunday, October 16, 2011

Policeman Drinking Coffee



Today's picture was taken in 1920, and it shows a police office enjoying a nice cup of coffee on a snowy street. I am going to be honest with you and say that I really like coffee. I enjoy nice espressos and cappuccinos. I usually do not have the patience to froth milk for a cappuccino, so I make an espresso, but press enough water through that it makes a full cup of coffee. This comes out as a strong cup of coffee but without the bitterness of drip coffee. Plus you can make one cup at a time as you want it. While I enjoy coffee, my cut off time is 1:00 in that if I drink it after that I will not sleep.

DOMESTIC UPDATE:

Yes, we announced yesterday that we would suspend the Mystery Person Contest, which had been a dominant fixture on this site for years. It was something that I looked forward to each week, and want to thank you all for all the fun times. 

A couple of years ago a site came out called "Tin Eye". If you took a picture to that site and uploaded it, it would try and tell you whether that picture was somewhere on the internet or not. This was the first warning flag as far as technology giving an unfair advantage in the contest. Tin Eye did not have the entire internet indexed, and it was pretty easy to fool it, so for the last year or so I would make sure that Tin Eye could not solve the contest before posting it. Then more recently, Google added that capability to their image search engine. At first I could trick that tool by just manipulating the image a little in photoshop, but more recently it could identify almost any image, even if I manipulated it. So, the contest was becoming a burden, as you had to not only get an interesting picture, but then you had to make sure Google could not solve it. 

Nate Maas emerged as a Grand Master at the contest long before these tools were available, so there is no doubt that he in fact was true genius at this game. Here is the problem. If there were to emerge another player of the level of Nate, we would all just assume that he was using a tool like Google Image Search to cheat. It is a lot like photoshop. When we see a genuinely spectacular picture these days, we assume that it was enhanced in photoshop and not just spectacular photographic skills.

So, while the Mystery Person Contest will fade into the sunset, I will try to keep things interesting with lots of old pictures and good domestic updates. Hope you all will stay tuned in.

21 comments:

  1. PJM, you could run more viewer sent photos. I would have loved to sent my family's oilfield rough neck photos, but alas I am away studying and can't access the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorenzo,
    I would love to see your oilfield photos. Please send them.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  3. though i will miss the saturday mystery person i could never guess them anyway, how about saturdays picture still give us a clue for the coming week but instead of telling us right off let us guess correctly and we will still be playing but with a new twist . thanks , have a nice day Todd from NC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding today's picture... anyone have an idea as to where this was taken?

    PJM
    No worries about the mystery pic especially if we don't have to wade through any more opera photos for a while. I'm working off a Mac so I still haven't figured out the google image trick.
    The viewer sent photos were a good addition especially when the sender included background info.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coffee fan here! My favorite preparation is freshly ground French roast beans processed through a glass and stainless French Press.

    The regular brew is Italian roast through the drip. A couple spoons of raw cane sugar but no cream for me please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can drink coffee right up to bed time and it doesn't bother me. My wife on the other hand, might be able to get by with a cup on 1/2 regular and 1/2 decaf, but if she drinks more than the one cup she would be up until dawn the following day.

    I too will miss the mystery person contest.
    It was the highlight of my Saturday morning.
    It was surprising how much I learned about not only the mystery person but a lot of others that I searched while trying to figure out who your mystery person was. It was fun just to try to figure out what his occupation was to get a clue to who it was.

    I guess I will give up my nick name of RTD and use my normal sign in of DADD

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed the Mystery Person Contest even though I could only recognize a few, like Father Coughlin or Teddy Roosevelt. I liked the anticipation of a Victory Breakfast, and the exchange between PJM and visitors optimistic enough to imagine that they could solve the puzzle.

    Thank you PJM for the great and sustained effort to put an interesting photograph on the web every day. It's one of the first sites that I visit daily.

    How's the garden? Could we please have pictures of the Peacock Families?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even without the mystery person, you are not getting rid of me. I never quessed the mystery person but love your site..it always starts my day. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would also love to see pics of those peacocks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sure hope some of the oil boom photos are of east Texas,Caddo lake and north Louisiana and the Eldorado and Smackover, Arkansas booms in the early 1900s I am always looking for family. They made most of the booms and those were some rough times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, this is the start of the joke about cops and donuts

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to see oilfield pictures too. One of my cousins (now retired) was a natural gas engineer and spent plenty of time in the fields.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to do an email newsletter for my company that included some movie trivia... It ended the same way. It's very difficult to describe a movie in such a way that a search engine can't name it.

    I've been reading your blog for many years and I kept thinking "He'll accidentally put up a mystery pic of someone I can identify", but you never did! I usually enjoyed the incorrect guesses as much as anything.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never got up in time for mystery contest anyhow. Love the pics. You haven't gotten rid of me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the many mystery persons, too bad they need to be discontinued, but the reasons for letting them go are clear and understandable...

    ReplyDelete
  16. though i"ll miss the contest, i understand and you are probably working hard enough as it is, so keep the lovely pictures coming and more domestic updates.... those are always fun.
    Thank you,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where are the doughnuts?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoyed the mystery person contest...even though I only knew a few of the people. Too bad you have to discontinue it. I enjoyed it:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello everybody!

    My wife and I have sat down for the last half an hour and figured out where this photo of the cop drinking coffee was taken. Okay... you'll have to follow me on this...

    1. In the background of the picture is an ad on the side of a building for "Veerhoff Galleries - Picture Frames".

    2. A Google/investigation reveals that "Wilhelm H. Veerhoff opened the original shop on 916 Seventh St. NW, selling wallpaper, window shades, frames and Victorian wall decorations." - http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-7230170_ITM

    3. Number 2 - refers to 916 Seventh St. NW, Washington DC - http://g.co/maps/4mvtn

    4. Unfortunately, all the buildings have been knocked down, but if you take the Google Street map tour back up Seventh Street NW and turn onto I Street and lookm back down from the corner... you'll get this view: http://www.blogbypass.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/GEORGETOWN-WASHINGTON-DC.jpg

    The only thing recognizable today is possibly the tree.

    There. Mystery solved :O)

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  20. PaulF
    Very interesting,and good detective work. It is sort of sad, but I like the old scene better than the new one.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks. It was nice to dig around and find the answer :O)

    But the link to my photo didn't work... so I did a little blog piece about it myself: http://www.blogbypass.com/fun/old-photo-georgetown-washington-usa/

    You have a great Old Photos blog here. I'll be back to look at more! :O)

    Paul

    ReplyDelete