Sunday, September 18, 2011

John Philip Sousa


Am I the only one happy that Opera Week is over? I would bet not. Anyway, this is going to be John Philip Sousa Week, where we look at pictures of, and listen to music by the greatest bandmaster who ever lived. 

I can remember that when I was growing up in the 1960's, we actually had a record player that would still play "78" records. Also, we had a stack of old records, and many of them had the old Sousa Marches. I can remember listening to the music, and the distinct scratchy sound that came from the old 78 records. Does anyone else sort of miss that hiss that you got from the old records?

Anyway, for your enjoyment, I present what might be the greatest march ever written . . . Sousa's Sempter Fidelis.



DOMESTIC UPDATE: 

The lovely Ms. EAM has been very busy in Africa. The picture at right is little Dominique, who Ms. EAM helped to rescue out of the slums of Kitale last week. She took the picture and was riding with him in the back seat. This was the first time the little guy had ever been in a car. She said he is severely malnourished, and has many other medical challenges, but it will be her top priority to nurse him back to health. This little boy's life is about to radically change. In Mattaw, he will be loved and will be provided with everything he needs. When he arrived at the village, the entire village turned out and held a huge celebration to welcome him. Ms. EAM says he is very quickly adjusting to his new life.

OK, I have been stealing pictures from the lovely Ms. EAM's blog. I am sure she would be greatly encouraged if you all would go over and check her blog out directly, as opposed to reading things second hand from me.

As many of you know, it is very discouraging to start a blog and not have anyone read it. It would be a huge encouragement to her if you would check out her blog, and maybe leave some comments. You might even consider "following" the blog if you like what you see. Again, for a blogger, the most discouraging thing is to write and get no comments. I might go so far as to say that any comments left on her blog would directly lower the chances of another ugly picture embargo on this site.

So please go on over and check out the lovely Ms. EAM's blog at:  http://www.kenyanurse.com/nursing-blog/. I think you will enjoy it.


12 comments:

  1. Three cheers for John Phillip Sousa week! Energizing and unapologetically patriotic. Thanks PJM!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the thing that threw me about your Saturday mystery person of Sousa was the lack of facial hair like he has in today photo.
    For some reason the blog site will not let me make the photo larger, so when I click on it to get it larger all it does is go to another page but it stays the same size if not smaller.

    But, yes, hurrah for Sousa week.

    You are right about posting a blog and getting discouraged about going through the work and not have any one post a comment. My daughter was going to quit her blog because nobody would make any comments.
    I have been looking at her site but I am guilty of not commenting also. I will try to do better.

    You may have only had a sprinkle. but maybe that is just a start of better thing to come. How bad did this hot, dry weather beat up your garden? Were you able to keep it cool enough inside to get produce?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to see the movie about Sousa,I think it was Stars and Strips Forever. Many people like me sat through it twice. Thank goodness most of us that lived in those days are not having to see this country now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too remember Stars and Stripes Forever. It was for the early 1950's. Waht a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. too many more crappy pictures and we may have to go to EAM's blog permanantly , or maybe nates . just kidding but seriously , opera really sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say that Sousa is much better than opera. I have marched to his music for a number of years and never tire of hearing it done again. The Boston Pops really did his more familiar songs the best when we celebrated July 4th.

    To the other bloggers, I strongly suggest that you take a look at Ms. EAM blog. I have been following her as she prepared and then traveled to Kenya. The videos she has prepared have helped to better see and understand what she is working for. She will return a different person who is better prepared professionally and emotionally for the life ahead of her. She certainly has my admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Sousa's marches- so invigorating.
    My Dad was s WWII vet. For a while he played a Sousaphone in the Army band. They needed a Sousaphone player and since Daddy was a classically trained violinist, he of course got the job. After a while the Army sent him to Med school. He never did fight in WWII, but stayed in the Army as a doctor for thirty years. He went back to playing the violin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my mom's best friends was married to Arthur Fiedler. We had many discussions - the old man and the brash young thing - about which were best - Sousa's marches or the Austrian marches I had grown up hearing. Never did settle that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PJM:

    With all due respect, "Stars and Stripes Forever" is the greatest march ever written and was my late mother's favorite.

    My 96-year old dad is a WWII vet, and my mother's brother was killed on the USS Yorktown in the Battle of the Coral Sea, in May 1942. As a result, she was chosen to christen a US submarine at the US Naval Yard in Portsmouth NH, in 1943.

    Our "Greatest" Generation" is fast disappearing, and I can no longer listen to the "Stars and Stripes Forever" without getting tears in my eyes.

    To Lady Anne - I can't believe you met Arthur Fieldler. Having grown up in Rhode Island, we went to see the Boston Pops all the time - I LOVED Arthur.

    I still watch the concert on the 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PJM:

    With all due respect, "Stars and Stripes Forever" is the greatest march ever written and was my late mother's favorite.

    My 96-year old dad is a WWII vet, and my mother's brother was killed on the USS Yorktown in the Battle of the Coral Sea, in May 1942. As a result, she was chosen to christen a US submarine at the US Naval Yard in Portsmouth NH, in 1943.

    Our "Greatest" Generation" is fast disappearing, and I can no longer listen to the "Stars and Stripes Forever" without getting tears in my eyes.

    To Lady Anne - I can't believe you met Arthur Fieldler. Having grown up in Rhode Island, we went to see the Boston Pops all the time - I LOVED Arthur.

    I still watch the concert on the 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Smart Girl, my dad narrowly escaped going down in the Coral Sea. He received some minor wounds at Pearl Harbor, and after he got out of the hospital the Navy offered him a berth on one of three ships that were going to Australia, which is where he was born, so he could see his family. He would have had to sleep in a hammock, and decided not to go.

    All three ships were lost.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here is Susa's Band
    http://youtu.be/_VyE_6Msz8g

    ReplyDelete