Sunday, July 3, 2011

Coyote Hunting



Welcome to Hunting Week here at OPOD. We kick things off with this picture from 1917. The photographer's notes indicate that this is a picture of Ada Tingley, a hunter in Idaho. While the man is pictured with a rifle, I would suspect that he is a trapper and not a hunter. Typically to get that many coyotes, you would be trapping and not hunting.

DOMESTIC UPDATE:


I had indicated earlier that my project for this summer was to get these old Model T's running again. The one on the right is a 1924 roadster, and the one on the left is a 1926 touring car. They have been in a barn for the last 30 years, and they were running when they were put away. At first I was messing around with one, and then the other and back and forth. I have decided to stop that, and just focus on one car until I have it running.  So, I am now just working on the roadster. 

I was able to find a 6 Volt car battery, and was able to get the battery installed in the car. After messing around with it a little, I was able to get the starter to turn the engine over. Then, I was able to get the coils working. The coils produce the high voltages needed to get the spark plugs to fire. So bottom line is that the ignition system is basically working at this point. When I put gas in the car, the gas ran out of the carburetor onto the ground. It is likely that this problem would be a stuck float valve in the carburetor. I had a friend stop by and he told me how to take the carburetor apart and check for a stuck float. The thing is though that if I take it apart, I will need to replace the seals. So, I have ordered a new set of seals, and when they come in I will undertake the carburetor overhaul. Hopefully I will get it and make progress this week.

15 comments:

  1. when I mentioned earlier that the first problem with the Fords would be the carb, I had not expected it to pour gas out freely. Normally, someone storing a vehicle will run the carb dry so the float closes and thus prevent the surprise you came upon. The gasket kit you ordered should get you started. Did you install fresh oil?

    The should be a fun project and I look forward to hearing about you leading the parade there in town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I'm wrong. The carbs ran over because the float was open and the fuel evaporated leaving a gummy residue. I'll be more careful with my observations in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Al,
    When the cars were stored, the gas was drained. With the gas drained, the float would have been "down" and hence valve to carb "open". If over the years the float became stuck in this down position the carb could be stuck open, and hence gas would run out, as we are seeing.

    So while the gas was drained, over 30 years the carb could have just become stuck for whatever reason.

    Hopefully we will get to the bottom of it this week.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you should take the carb apart and get it soaked is carb cleaning solution and make sure it is clean. Getting a new gaskets kit for it should not be a problem.
    And you should give them a bath. Make sure you wash behind their ears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These old engines still have a crank on them. Be sure to remove plugs and put oil in each cylinder and chnge the crank case oil and slowly turn engines over several times and let them sit for a while after each turn over. This will give the oil time to lube the bearing and cylinder wall surfaces. It is alwaysbetter to take it slow and thanks for saving these old parts of the American past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did any one notice the spotted animal to her right. I think Ada was a woman from the look of things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your man with the rifle is not a man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The spotted animal is a bobcat.
    Tne hunter must be Annie Oakley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, Ada Tingley, was a hunter for the District of Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks likt the hide on the far lower left might be a badger with it's stripped face.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If only those old coyote hunters knew what we know today . When coyotes are threatened ( over hunted) there is a natural biological quirk that kicks in . It's next litter doubles in size . It always stays in balance with the amount of food available . These old hunters really did the coyote a favour . Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought Ada Tingley had very feminine features, and appears to be wearing a skirt. However, every internet search brought up today's photo, includinng many copies for sale (e.g. Amazon.com for $19.97. However through sheer persistence I happened upon a digitized copy of Country Life, Volume 39, Dec. 1920, which included today's old picture, and the following text:

    "MRS ADA TINGLEY Right Idaho has won her laurels as hunter and trapper in checking animals in their destruction of cattle horses hogs sheep As a professional trapper in the employ of the Bureau Biological Survey US Department of Agriculture Mrs has silenced the bloodthirsty calls of 278 stock killing in seventeen months Twenty four coyotes one bobcat one badger as shown in the accompanying photograph are trophies of a single month which testify to her ready marksmanship On the far Western ranges the protection of domestic animals is an ever present problem in conserving the nation's meat supply and for the past three years 300 professional hunters in the employ of Uncle Sam have killed 70,713 animals resulting in a saving estimated to be $5,500,000 annually 70".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Old cars.... what fun!

    The thing I've learned about old cars, is that you always need one more part than what you pre ordered. The order of the day is "Patience, Grasshopper"!!

    When I got my first car, my father had me run an oil treatment (50-50, Rislone I think it was) for the first few oil changes. It took quite a while for everything in the engine to loosen up properly. Of course, you are going to find lots of dried out gaskets and hoses, too. Enjoy! (always drive with a tool kit, too)
    Graham in St. John's

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know it might be boring to most, but I want to see the old cars in the original color, which probably was black. It would be interesting to know when color came into play and what choices there were for buyers.

    While coyotes are not loved by ranchers and farmer, but I love to go sit at night in the brush country and listen to them.

    ReplyDelete