Sunday, May 15, 2011

Enola Gay Crew



Good Sunday Morning to you all. Atomic Week is being extended for another week. It is a topic I am really interested in, and one with a lot of good pictures. 

Last week we looked at pictures from the Manhattan project, and pictures through the explosion of the "Gadget" at the trinity site. With the successful test of the first atomic bomb, they were ready to use one for real, in an attempt to end the war in the pacific, and avoid an invasion of the Japanese Mainland.

A crew was chosen to drop the first bomb on Hiroshima. The crew is pictured above in front of the mission plane . . . the Enola Gay, which was named after the pilot's mom.

In the late 90's, I had a chance to meet Paul Tibbets and the other living members of the crew. It was a great experience. They appeared to have all come to grips with their unique role in history. In talking to them, none appeared to doubt the importance or necessity of the job they had done. They did not appear to be haunted by the lives lost in that expedition. At the same time, they did appear to be tired. I got the impression that they were tired of being known for that one event in their lives.

DOMESTIC UPDATE:

OK, I know I have been delinquent in posting Domestic Updates, and don't even know if Roger still reads the blog, out of frustration over lack of updates. The truth is that I have been really busy over the last three months. This will be the last full week of school, then finals, and then I will be out for the summer. I promise to do a better job keeping you informed on events in Chickie Town with school letting out.

For today, I have an update on the Lovely EAM.


I am pleased to announce that EAM has just completed her Nursing degree, and has been pinned as an RN. She was at the top of her class, and will make an excellent nurse. While most of her classmates are out landing lucrative jobs, EAM wants to work for a year or so on the Mission Field. Her primary interest right now is either Nepal or East Africa. 

I am learning that when you are a missionary you do not get paid, and at best get your nominal living expenses covered. I had sort of hoped that she would go out and get a high paying job, and perhaps purchase a fine Breitling Limited Edition SR71 Blackbird Chronograph Watch for her father as a token of her appreciation for the countless tuition checks, books, gas, food, insurance, and various other fees paid during her education.  I am watching my dreams of the Blackbird crumble, as she apparently places a higher priority on caring for dying orphans in Africa. So, my dreams of the Breitling Blackbird must be put on hold for now.

21 comments:

  1. thanks for the update and congrats on your daughters achievment . the mission trip is great , the only thing that bothers me about these trips are the people that we help most often could care less about american lives at all , but good luck to her i wish her the best because in the end the children will hopefully benefit from her kindness. thanks for the pictures and am looking forward to a great summer of pictures . ( how about perhaps pictures from summers of yesteryear??). Todd from NC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me tell one thing PJM, and this is a very serious statement.
    My day doesn't get started without reading 2 blogs. Your is either 1st or 2nd, depending on when you post.
    I read you every day and though I always look foreword to your Sunday domestic updates, I learned to live without them, because you were very busy with your teaching job.
    I enjoyed your humor and your battles with the ENM.

    Congratulation to EAM on her wanting to give back to humanity. Thank you Elizabeth.
    She sure looks good up on her new "car". And when she get a new car you can eat that one.
    If you need to tell what time it is, you can look at the Sun like they did back in the frontier days. You would be surprised how good you can get at it. I haven't had a watch for 40 years and am never late. Well hardly late, generally early.

    I still would like you to post a photo of the different of the different colored eggs sitting side by side. And maybe a photo of your mother's brush with death (you killing her for wreck your new tractor and shop).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. PJM,

    Congratulations to Ms. EAM, and your family, for all y'all's hard work getting her through!

    Best wishes for the rest of the school year and a wonderful summer. We're looking forward to the Domestic Updates, and your great old photos; thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulation to EAM and she is beautiful. I am sure she gets that from Mrs. PJM;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. PJM congratulations on your daughter's graduation. May the Lord guide her choices in her career and be with her on her missions trip. It looks like that longhorn failed to throw her, but unless that picture was taken after the buzzer she's getting DQ'd for a free hand slap.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. John,
    Yep she stayed on the full 8 seconds, but unfortunately was flagged for touching the saddlehorn.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sensing a distinct lack of sympathy in my failure to receive long and widely anticipated Breitling Limited Edition SR71 Blackbird Chronograph in Collector case.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, the dream of the Blackbird is crumbling before your eyes. But think of the wonderful reward in Heaven you'll get for raising a daughter in the fear of the Lord!! Seriously, you must be extremely proud of your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A new watch can always be purchased tomorrow or next year. A child who dies is gone forever, as is any potential they may have had. Your daughter may save the life of a future teacher or scientist, or just as important, a mother who knows who to care for her children so *they* in turn live long and healthy lives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you people realize that Breitling Blackbird Watchs sell for around $7,000.00 or more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Roger,
    Problem?

    Are you saying I am unworthy?
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, what I don't understand why you went for a cheap watch?
    If you are going to dream, you just as well dream bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty funny, Roger.

    I note with some dismay public opinion is decidedly against me in the poll and in favor of the orphans.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  14. PJM I'm on your side. She's only got one dad. There's (unfortunately) and endless supply of needy children for her. She can't help them all anyway. I'm going to put on some kevlar now and wait for possible fallout on this. It's up to the reader to decide how sarcastic I am.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  15. PJM---perhaps instead of a victory breakfast the next time (when and if) you win the Mystery Person contest, you could treat yourself to a Blackbird.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi PJM,
    Love the photo of your beloved daughter. I am curious if it is recent and if you guys got the idea from the German teenager who made headlines because her parents wouldn't buy her a horse so she learned to ride her cow.?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marisol,
    It is a fairly recent picture. In Texas, it is a tradition for people to train steers to be ridden. They are very gentle, so many people have longhorns they can ride.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  18. You must be so proud of your daughter. Sounds like you did a wonderful job raising her!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations to EAM on her achievement. I'm sure you are very proud to have such a fine daughter!
    I'm not familiar with the Breitling Blackbird chronograph, so before I vote in your poll, I would like some additional information. For instance, how does it compare to the chronograph modeled by the gentleman in this photo?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anon,
    Ha! your link does not work, but by the URL, I know the picture you are referring too. Either you are in fact the evil Nate Maas, or I have an internet stalker on my hands!

    That watch, if it is the picture I am thinking of, is a Breitling, but a Breitling Chronomat. The blackbird is similar. The Breitling Chronomat in teh picture I had a number of years, but then gave it to my nephew.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete