Sunday, May 29, 2011

Drought Week


Welcome to Drought Week here at OPOD. I decided to make it drought week because here in West Texas we are in the worst drought of the last 130 years. I heard this weekend that it is worse than the drought of the Dust Bowl/Great Depression. The wheat farmers lost their winter wheat crop due to lack of rain. Worse yet, the lack of rain has dried up the grasslands, so ranchers have no grass to feed their cattle and other livestock. Initially they tried to weather the drought by feeding hay, but now hay is unfordable and unavailable. All the ranchers I know have sold off their herds. The sad thing about this is that they hang on as long as they can, and when they finally give up and sell, they are selling at the worst possible time, as everyone is selling off at the same time, and prices turn out to be the lowest ever.

DOMESTIC UPDATE: THE PEACOCK HAS LANDED


I am happy to announce that Ms. Elly May has hatched her babies. If you have been keeping up with the Domestic Updates, you will know that Elly May is the one who laid her eggs out in the bush. She laid 5 eggs, and 2 hatched. We saw her march into Chickie Town with the two new little babies. I have noticed that peacocks only hatch about half their eggs. 

Lovie and Miss Kitty are still in the peacock palace sitting on the same nest of eggs. We would hope those eggs would hatch this week, but with all the turmoil over those eggs I don't know if they are going to work or not.

12 comments:

  1. What? A drought? Here in Wyo we are having more rain & snow than I can ever remember. It's been going on for months. The mountains haven't even begun to have snowmelt and we are due for another 3-6 inches of snow tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that they have a 55 gallon drum catching rain water off the roof.
    Sorry to hear about your drought.
    Up here we are about the same as Judi, only ours is rain now. Every week end and some days during the week it rains and then it rains some more. I didn't take off the wife's snow tires until about a week ago, because everey time I was going to do it. it snowed again.

    So, counting the 2 new chicks, how many peacocks do you have now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did the baby peacocks from last year grow up and have babies this year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad the Mississippi can't divert a little your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hardest thing about those severe droughts is the wind blowing away the soil ...leaving just sand that won't even grow grass . Many a farmer had to leave because their lands were barren and sterile ...sad and hard circumstances .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been reading Robert Caro's book "Path to Power" (re. Lyndon Johnson) in preparation for our trip to the Hill Country. It has given me tremendous insight into the lives my grandparents lead, and DROUGHT was a huge factor. Tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is ironic that you all are having a drought. We live in Maryland, and have had one of the wettest spring in years. We didn't get out lawn mowed for almost a month because it rained pretty much every other day. Eldest daughter mowed it yesterday - had to do it twice because the grass was so high and thick. We had to keep a light on so the county wouldn't think we'd abandoned the place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to say thank tou for all you do on this site. For me a drop out in high school someone said to me before they died to never stop learning and I took that to heart and got my GED. But when I come across a site like your's the learning seems endless to me. I also just wanted to say today I remember our vets and a special toward your father

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, thanks to the Veterans and those who gave all.
    I work in the San Antonio area, driving to small towns and research in the courthouses. I see no livestock along my usual routes, some horses and goats remain. One morning I saw a horse, with ribs showing, eating leaves on a tree. I've never seen this, maybe it is not unsual, I just figured it was pretty hungry. This is going to be a great week of photos and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope the drought stops soon, PJM. Coincidentally, where I live (Binghamton, NY.) We have set record rain fall. April and May have the most rain for Back-to-back months in our history.

    Been reading for years, but this is my first post. Keep up the good work

    - everyday reader, 22 years old.

    ReplyDelete