Sunday, March 27, 2011

Side Saddle



Well, I see no one was successful on the Mystery Person Contest, so I declare myself the winner. I was surprised no one got it. It was Marriner Eccles, the first Chair of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. The Fed Chairman decides how much money to print, so is probably a person actually more powerful than the president. I had intended to make this week "Bankster Week". Do you get it, Bankster, like Gangster, but about the Federal Reserve? I had intended to blow the lid off the secret societies and dark dealings behind the Federal Reserve, but after a little reflection decided it might not be safe to expose such a sinister system at this time. So, I decided to switch to Side Saddle week. Since I only have one Side Saddle picture, and I am using it today, I will have to make it Christoval, TX week.

The picture above was taken in my home town, Christoval, Texas in 1900. This is one of those pictures you have to click on to get a closer look. Notice that the two women are riding side saddle. Also notice the one woman is wearing a Colt 45 peacemaker, and cartridge belt.

I found a treasure trove of pictures of Christoval from the late 1800's and turn of the century. I am learning that this little town came about as close to being the iconic old west town of the movies as you are going to find. There was "flat rock" which was a hideout for the Black Jack Ketchum gang on the South Concho River. There is the "Head of the River Ranch" which was a hub of cattle ranching. There was a train depot in town, general store, blacksmith and much, much more. This week I will be sharing these pictures with you.

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on your win, PJM.
    What wonderful detail in this photo. Do you know who these people were & anything about them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judi,
    I don't have any info, just the picture was taken in Christoval at the turn of the century.

    The men are definitely cowboys, and the women look like working cowgirls. Note the lasso, gloves, bandana, and hats.

    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like we could have a Christoval month, which would suit me fine. I envy you for having found that treasure.

    Whenever I discover, through this site or other sources, any historical troves on the internet, I have to spend hours or days rummaging through them to see if I can find anything from my hometown.

    But photos are hard to come by. I have found City Directories and street maps, both of which fascinate me, discovering busineses and streets that have long-ago disappeared. I have also found mentions of relatives, their addresses and what kind of work they did.

    There is an old dam across a small river, with a curious stone tower on one end, somewhat like the turret of a castle. I found that this is all that's left of a rather elegant and elaborate area along the river which ceased to exist 80 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a fantastic picture. Looking forward to the week. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your format and color scheme! The information along with the photos gives one a nice look into a bygone era!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will we get to see a picture of your delicious victory breakfast, PJM, along with a domestic update?

    This could be a new theme: hometowns!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great looking chaps. Looking forward to Christoval Week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sidearm is a nice compliment to the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please do a "Bankster Week!" Even though I just started a blog that only features good news, for some reason I seem to like the slightly darker side of history sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, I think riding side saddle would be so uncomfortable!! Kudos to the women for being able to handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sidesaddle photo is amazing. I'm a sidesaddle rider and enthusiast myself, and here's a little info I can add from what I can see in the photo for your readers. The ladies are using two different styles of sidesaddle. The lady on the right side of the image on the lanky palomino is using a western sidesaddle (these were pretty rare, even then). You can see that the the right hand lady rider has a traditional western saddle blanket, and a western bridle on her horse; her gloves are thicker western gloves. The lady on the left riding the little black/bay horse has a more traditional english sidesaddle, with a double leaping horn. Her horse is bitted with an english bridle, although she is holding the reins in a western reining style, oddly enough. Look at the difference in her gloves, too. Hers are a fine black leather, very traditional and typical for that type of turnout. Her saddle has a fitted english pad under it instead of a saddle blanket as well. This is a wonderful photo!

    ReplyDelete