Sunday, February 27, 2011

Welcome to Gentleman Raider Week



We kicked off Gentleman Raider Week yesterday with the Mystery Person contest, which featured Rebel Raider John H. Morgan. Today, we feature the Confederate Raider General John S. Mosby, the famed "Gray Ghost" of the Civil War. Mosby raised a regiment of Confederate Raiders (or rangers, depending on your perspective) which was one of the most effective of the Civil War. He could operate deep behind enemy lines with impunity. He once kidnapped a Union General from his residence, and on another occasion visited Washington DC, and had a lock of his hair delivered to President Lincoln. Mosby lived up to a ripe old age, and did not die until 1916. In his later years he lived in California and enjoyed telling stories of his exploits to the neighborhood children. One of the those neighborhood boys was George S. Patton.

10 comments:

  1. I think that most of the Civil War battles were fought because the two forces happened to run into each other. There was very poor communication back then, and if one side wasn't raising a fuss, they mostly went unnoticed until they ran into some forces from they other side. Then the out come of the battle was who could get the most forces there first, and who got the better ground.

    By the way, I am neither the Evil Nate Maas or PJM's alter ego. I am a newly retired 67 year old and I live in the frigid North East corner of North Dakota. I enjoy doing crossword puzzles and Sudoku puzzles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, were are those photos you promised of Handsome Jack's project out back?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mosby led a most interesting life. I admire him for his sense of honor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roger,
    Actually, I could not find the camera, and Mrs. PJM was at work. When she got back, she showed me where the camera was, but it was too late to take pictures.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello all. Are those clothes piled in the lefthand corner of the picture? Interesting to leave such an object in a picture. Have a wonderful Sunday afternoon all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those clothes looks like his great coat and his leather riding gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting story about this man, especially his connection or inspiration of the young Geo. Patton.

    There is a Civil War recreationist group in this area (NW Georgia) that reenacts either Morgan's or Mosby's raiders. (It's been a few years since I saw them.)

    I find Civil War reenactments very interesting, but the thought of WW2 reenactments just creeps me out. Too soon, too many people still left who suffered thru that. The soft veneer of time has eased the pain of the Civil War.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another interesting subject -- and more to learn and to research. Bring it on, man! lol I aspire to, but will never win the mystery pic of the week . . . but looks like I'm guaranteed to learn something new each time I visit.

    PS: I have Morgan ancestors -- bit they are way back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting man and the connection to Gen. Patton is fascinating. I wonder if he picked up ideas that were later used in WWII?

    ReplyDelete