Sunday, December 12, 2010

Old Tractor


Today's picture is from 1943, and shows men working on a tractor. I really like this picture because I like the tractor and the pickup in the background. On the farm I grew up on, there was a tractor just like this one, and also several pickups like the one in the background. Really takes me back to a simpler time. I would love to find an old pickup just like that.

Domestic Update:

Once again, no pictures of Chickie Town today. The girls are all molting, and I think they would appreciate some privacy until they get their good feathers back. Also it was really windy and cold yesterday, so not much chance of getting any good pictures.

I have been busy in the greenhouse. I am taking the assorted small systems out, to make room for the new large systems. The greenhouse will have two systems. One system is a bucket system that will have room for 64 vine type plants. The buckets are good for tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, eggplant, bell peppers and broccoli. Then there is a tray system that will have room to grow 350 leaf type plants. This system will grow lettuce, spinach, and other greens. My goal is to have the new systems completely installed over the Christmas break. 


10 comments:

  1. The year you have for that photo tells me it is either a 2N or an 8N Ford tractor.
    I use to sell farm equipment and I trade in and resold dozen of them. You could buy an overhaul kit for the engine (sleeves, piston, rings, carb kit, all the gaskets, new brush for both the starter and generator) for around $75.00.
    I would overhaul them and resell them for $600.00, $700.00 back then
    They were such a durable tractor that you still can see them on small farms today.

    Well, we will let you slip by one more week without chickie town photos. But then we want photos, and lots of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo! Being 1943 would the repair of farm equipment been more of a do or die situation? So much of our manufacturing was shifted over to the war effort. I wonder if a new tractor would have even been available for purchase.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. John is correct - in 1943, you'd have been fortunate to even find parts to repair a tractor, never mind buy a new one. My parents bought the last washing machine Montgomery Wards had in stock in Baltimore, just days after Pearl Harbor. I have a lot of magazines from the early 40s, and try to explain to our grandkids - all in their 20s - what the War Effort was like.

    My earliest memory is of standing beside my grandmother, watching her lift bits of dirt out of a bowl of sugar. My grandfather worked for B&O railroad, and a bag of sugar had broken open while the crew was moving it. All the men grabbed whatever they could find - hats, lunch tins, paper bags - and scooped up handsful of sugar from the ground - dirt and all. With each bit of dirt she picked out, a bit of sugar came along, and they used that to sweeten their coffee, as the dirt would settle to the bottom and not be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your picture is from the WW2 Japanese relocation camp at Manzanar, Calif. in the Owens Valley during wartime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Picture is posed for the camera as this model Ford has the hood that raises up to access the area the mechanic is supposedly working on. Good picture anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worked for a guy whose family became rich during WWII. They owned a lumber mill and traded lumber for sugar from the sugar mill. They would bring back dump truck loads of sugar and sell on the black market.
    Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a forestry service vehicle http://www.scalefirehouse.com/?p=212
    Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to see a recreation of this photo, PJM, using your truck and tractor, of course toolbox. Just thinking ahead for future old photos.

    ReplyDelete