Monday, November 29, 2010

Shoemaker


Today's picture is from 1903, and shows a shoemaker in his shop. He is inspecting a little girl's shoe, possibly for repair.

This picture really shows how much things have changed in the last hundred years. First, he actually makes things . . . shoes. Secondly, people actually had things repaired, instead of throwing them away. Third, look at the sign behind him, "Terms; Strictly Cash". Wow, people actually saved their money, and paid real money for a real product or service, locally produced.

5 comments:

  1. I remember when there several cobblers in our town. Now a cobbler is very hard to find.

    In a town not far from where I live is an old cobbler shop than once belonged to Henry Wilson. Henry Wilson was our 20th vice president, He was U.S Grant's V.P.

    His 10 foot long shop is preserved as a historical site, a photo of which can be seen at this link:http://www.millermicro.com/HenryWilsonHistoryTrail.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to take a look back at the days when a person had a craft. And, presumably, knew how to do his or her job! How rare a thing is that today?

    PJM, I loved your comment yesterday about our being a nation of people who move piles of paper from one place to another. And to that may I add "and can't even do that competently!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's Dag's link. It came up chopped for me.

    http://www.millermicro.com/HenryWilson
    HistoryTrail.html

    I always worked with my hands. Dentist by trade. Carpenter, and model builder as a hobby. I still
    want to learn how to weld.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can anyone tell me what the little crawdad looking things are above and to the left of the shoemakers head?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That little girl is NOT amused. And the shoemaker looks kinda perplexed. Maybe that's why she doesn't seem to be in good spirits, her shoe isn't going to be easily fixed, hahaha. I like this one a lot more than yesterdays, "the cobbler" I think mostly because you can easily see the two subjects faces in this one.

    ReplyDelete