Friday, November 19, 2010

Gentlemen at Afternoon Tea


Today's picture was taken in 1944 in Jerusalem. It shows some gentlemen joining the ladies for afternoon tea. I generally do not join the ladies for afternoon tea, as I have found that it is difficult for gentlemen to get a word in edgewise at such affairs. Also, I have seen those ladies tea rooms . . . you know, the ones where they have hats and fancy things for the ladies to dress up in for tea? Well, I have always had a policy that I don't wear communal hats. I mean, if I am going to wear a hat, it is going to be my hat, and not one that is shared among countless thousands of unknown people. I have a similar personal policy that I don't wear communal shoes. That pretty much rules out bowling, ice skating and roller skating for me. Call me crazy, but the policy has worked out well for me so far.

12 comments:

  1. High table means high tea, and low table means low tea? I’m also wondering who will be the next mystery person. If the Weimar Republic leads to A.H., to whom will the tea party lead (no political pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the communal thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are these things called "socks". You put them on your feet, two pairs if you're really phobic and your feet never come into direct contact with the communal shoes. You can also buy powder to sprinkle into the shoes that will kill fungi and bacteria. Bowling is too much fun to let anything stand it the way, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A definite decline in the caliber of women's dresses for "The Tea" from the earlier posts. Nothing like Victorian era dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meredith: Perhaps you could stick to the topic of tea parties instead of wandering off into Victorian dress before you upset Roger?

    Rob From Amersfoort: high tea isn't denoted by the height of the table :P. I'm hoping the mystery person for tea party week will lead us to The Tea Party but they really aren't old enough of a band to qualify for OPOD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, yes. Tea with the Vicar. I wonder which lady is Mrs. Vicar? The gentleman on the far right looks as if he put waaay too much lemon in his tea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, referring to Victorian dresses is just part of tea parties, and does not upset me in the least.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "High Tea" is tea severed in late afternoon, or early evening, around 6:00. It is served with more of a meal and served with meat of soem kind. And generally is served on the high tables, or dinner table.
    Where as "Low Tea" is severved in the mid-afternoon and is served on lower tea tables with snadwiches or scones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prior posting was mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roger: have a digestif at tea that might help with any previous upsets.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ASTROCRABPUFF
    I some times have a little wine with the meal at home.
    If I'm eating out, some times a White Russian or maybe a Creme-De-Mint after the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Roger: "You make a mean caucasian, Jackie" - The Dude

    ReplyDelete