Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Jumping Rope

Today's picture was taken in 1936, and shows a child skipping rope. Skipping rope is another thing you do not see kids doing much anymore. I can remember in school during recess they had long ropes, and a person would get on each end, and then someone would get in the middle and skip the rope. Lots of fun games from just a simple rope.

Domestic Update:

Well, I have hit my first snag in putting the greenhouse together. The greenhouse needs natural gas, electricity and of course water. I had planned on having them tap a line at the southwest corner of my house, and then running a line to the greenhouse. The plumbers came out yesterday, and looked at the situation and said that line would not be able to feed the furnace, and that I would have to take a line from the meter that is on the opposite side of the house. There are many buried lines between the meter and greenhouse location, and it is going to be a significant effort to get a gas line run. So, I am talking to the gas company about possibly moving the meter, which would make things slightly easier. Also trying to arrange for the caliche pad to be built, but those guys have a long wait time as well. So, this project is going to take a while.

11 comments:

  1. We played "Jacks", spun "Tops", and played "Marbles", as well as jumping rope. Some even brought their roller skates to school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember some of the jump-rope songs we used to sing. Found out a couple of years ago that my dad recognized one of them, but with a slightly different ending (not as warm-and-fuzzy).

    Most of these pics are from my parents' childhood era. So sad how many people today don't realize that "history" is still walking around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister and I jumped rope all the time. Get a gang of kids from the neighborhood together, and even take the rope to school and play before they opened the doors to let us inside. Sometimes my mom would jump, too, and we'd try "Double Dutch". We'd get to laughing so hard we literally couldn't stand up. My dad always called it "double dumb".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute little gal, I did that as a kid..I should probably do it today..but my knees wouldn't take it anymore.
    Got yourself a bit of work off that truck..a gentleman Farmer..aren't you in Texas..cooling will be a bigger thing to overcome than heating. Hydroponic..you should be able to grow some great vegetables! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe you're in Texas. Right? Why, in the name of the blazing sun, do you need a green house?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you building any of this new project yourself? I suppose now a days a jumprope is considered a weapon on school grounds and only wii jumprope is allowed. I think dodgeball is prohibited too as it's bad for self esteem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mab.,
    I have no soil so am getting the greenhouse so I can grow hydroponically, which requires no soil. Also eliminates weed problem. In addition, it allows a year round growing season.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Proud of you Mr. PJM for getting started :)

    Regarding the gas line/meter problem, perhaps a change in proposed location for the greenhouse?

    Lots of fun games we played outside as kids, one I liked a lot was kick the can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh-- I am so jealous of your green house. We are in TX in the DFW area. I have always wanted to try my hand at hydroponic gardening since our back yard is all swimming pool. The things I did try to grow in the flower beds like bell peppers, tomatoes, etc. were all eaten by the squirrels. Those rotten rodents ate the plant stem all the way down to the dirt. I finally gave up trying but still have the farmer bug in me.
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was always my considered opinion that, upon reaching the age of (whatever deemed appropriate by the lawyers), a child, male or female, should receive an erector set, legos or lincoln logs (if one can afford them). Again, at the approprite age, a chemistry set or a rock hammer. Again, don't care what the sex is, we need more scientists.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love this picture! (This whole series in fact.) Thanks for the lovely images.

    Renee at Photoloom.com

    ReplyDelete