Thursday, June 10, 2010

Boy Scouts at Gettysburg


This picture was taken at the Gettysburg Battlefield at The Great Reunion in 1913. This was the 50th anniversary of the battle. At this point, there were many veterans of the battle still alive, and many attended the reunion. There was a big Boy Scout jamboree at the reunion as well. In this picture, a group of scouts are playing a blanket toss game.

Mathan made a real good point in the comments yesterday about the types of toys we buy our kids. He reminded us of the importance of toys like erector sets, tinker toys, Lincoln logs, chemistry sets and so forth. I could not agree more. My favorite toys as a child were toys where you built stuff that did things. These toys helped build a life long interest in engineering in me. When our daughter was growing up, we were always careful to buy toys that would stimulate this kind of learning.

Domestic Update:

I feel I made some progress on the greenhouse project yesterday. I contacted someone to build the caliche pad for the greenhouse. The guy says he will be able to do it next week. I will post some pictures as things progress. I also got one of the hydroponic units put together. Since the greenhouse is not built, I put it out on the screened in porch. I dont know if there is enough light there for plants to do well, but I will try some just to get some learning done as the greenhouse is constructed. 

13 comments:

  1. Way to go PJM, take on the things you can handle yourself and get the pro's to do the things you may have problems with.
    I consider myself a jack of all trades. I use to be able to take apart different car components and fix them, but not anymore. I leave those things up to the people that have had the training.
    It is to big of an expense to try a tackle some of those things and mess them up, and wind up having to replace things.

    Yes, more photos the better.
    Lots and lots of photos.
    To start with lets see a photo of your porch unit.
    Maybe if you need more light get yourself a grow light to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be exciting to see your greenhouse go up and start production.

    I agree with Mathan's comment yesterday re. Legos, etc. Additionally, kids ought to be allowed to get filthy dirty. When they get dirty they are usually doing something very interesting. Mud and sand are excellent playthings and learning tools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what caliche is, but what on earth (pun intended) is a "caliche pad?" In lieu of a concrete pad??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca,
    The caliche pad is built to provide smooth level base for the concrete slab. So, the concrete slab goes on top of the caliche pad.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  5. caliche pad. Tucson is built on one. It's why the AF built the "Boneyard" here, planes won't sink into the dirt. That, and there's very little need to protect against rust ... it doesn't rain.

    As for the need for a greenhouse, I used one of those pop-up greenhouses when we lived in Houston to keep the durned bugs off of whatever I was trying to grow. Plus, I could keep growing year round.

    Instead of hydroponics, I used earthboxes ... hmmmmmm ... that's a brand name for a self watering container, but, I made my own using two watering troughs. They are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mathan,
    The greenhouse will have waste water after the nutrient solutions are no longer optimal. I plan on using this nutrient rich water (which is not longer balanced enough for hydroponics) to feed raised bed, outdoor plants situated near greenhouse.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy, you sound like you are getting all your ducks (or should I say chickies) in a row.
    You have almost everything planned out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you need a rider on your homeowner's policy to cover this greenhouse?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bruce,
    The policy I have covers out-structures as if they were part of the house, so chicken coops, solar array, wind turbine, and now greenhouse will all be covered under the existing policy, with no incremental cost.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've found that, living in the desert, my composter makes bricks rather than compost, so, when I'm done boiling corn, or broccoli, or potatoes, or whatever, instead of dumping the water down the sink, I dump it into the composter. Works a treat! I imagine that the hydroponic "waste" water would be just as efficacious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course, the best play a child can have is with a dog....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulyVur9WpKo&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photo - two of my loves, Civil War and Scouts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic picture! I hope you don't mind but it inspired a post on my blog. It just reminded me of all the activities that we don't let our kids do anymore and what they've lost by losing these activities so I wrote a blog post about it.

    Thanks again for the fantastic picture and for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete