Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Tobacco Warehouse

This picture was taken in 1906, and shows the Tobacco Warehouse in Louisville, Kentucky. I wonder at what point in the process the tobacco left the warehouse. I guess my question is, was the warehouse just for storing and then shipping the tobacco, or what part of the curing/processing done there.

Domestic Update:

Took a quick day trip to Boerne, Texas with Mrs. PJM. We took my mom, and our daughter along. A while back I was going somewhere and got lost in an ice storm, and ended up in this quaint little town called "Boerne" that I had never heard of. I found my way back to the highway, but since then have always wanted to go back and visit Boerne. It is a nice little town, and all the buildings look like something from the 1800's. We had a nice time looking around.

On the way there we were on Interstate 10, and we looked off to the side, and there was the most enormous John Deere tractor dealership you have ever seen. Mrs. PJM saw me staring as we went by, and she said, "Maybe we should stop and have a look at those tractors". I said, "No dear, I want to make sure you have all the time you need to look around Boerne".

I view it as a positive sign that she suggested we go in and look at tractors. I passed on stopping, as I felt it would build points by showing she was more important than the tractor. I feel that my chances are going to be most excellent in getting the tractor and achieving "Gentleman Farmer" status by this summer.

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now 1906 is out of my realm, but as a child of tobacco(as it were) the warehouse was the selling point. Bales were brought to the house for auction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hogsheads. The tobacco was packed tightly into them and they weighed around a half ton each.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to Downtown Indy for the additional info. Very interesting week. My husband was raised on a small farm in North Carolina and their cash crop was tobacco. He told many interesting stories about how tobacco was grown, harvested and cured. But I had not seen photos before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PJM, you astound me with your sagacity. I would have been so excited by the Mres' suggestion, we would have been in that dealership fast enough that she would have no time to change her mind. Instead, you put her first and showed your concern for her happiness and now will reap the benefits.

    I can hear the tractor idling now!

    Al

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I lived in Queensland Au as a
    child, my parents and I would work
    on the local tobacco farms at the
    weekends, when it came time for
    picking. My fathers full time work
    was a tool-maker, working for the
    Irrigation Water Supply.

    The tobacco was picked, strung and
    cured on the farms. I'm sure the
    large casks in the photo contain
    cured leaf. Good photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PJM: It sounds like you better get to work on a tractor shed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Boerne. We discovered Boerne when we visited the Scenic Loop Cafe and the Cave Without a Name. As soon as we are able to move to Texas, Boerne is our destination.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anna Cotton,
    Boerne would be a nice place to live. Small town Texas life is VERY good. No state income tax in Texas, no sales tax on groceries, reasonable property taxes, and most of all, nice folks, are all reasons Rural Texas is a good place to live.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tobacco warehouses were for selling the tobacco. It was run just like an auction, with sellers, buyers and bidders. It was bought by the pound in Tennessee. The tobacoo was brought in in bales that weighted about 100 lbs each. Sometimes I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wooohoo. You're in! If the Mrs. made such a comment, you can start deciding on which one to buy. And you certainly were quick on your toes and made the most gracious comment to her...deferring the tractors to give her the priority. What a good husband you are. Extra brownie points for THAT! :)

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent on the tractor front!

    ReplyDelete