Saturday, March 13, 2010

Send Off

No mystery person contest this morning . . . I have to go give my dad his big "Send Off". Will update you all on the ceremony this afternoon, then tomorrow morning we get back in our old picture routine.

Wanted to share a little irony with you. My dad had grown up with, and been lifelong friends with Orval Edmiston. They were the two oldest men left in town, and both had been in this little town their whole lives. The funny thing is that both of them had been one cigar a day smokers from the time they were both about 6 years old. I think it was when they hit about 80 or 85 that the doctors finally stopped bothering them about it. Anytime a doctor or anyone else would tell them that they needed to get off those cigars, their response was always, "All my non-smoking friends have already passed away", which actually was true.

When my dad became sick and was taken to the little hospital here, he was admitted within hours of Orval also being admitted. They had unrelated illnesses, but their last few days were right across the hall from each other. Then they both passed away withen a few hours of each other. Now the two of them are down at the funeral home across the hall from each other. I also noticed that each had a couple of cigars in their shirt pocket. Really gives lifelong friends a new meaning.

16 comments:

  1. Miss Me But Let Me Go
    When I come to the end of the road and the sun has set for me,
    I want no rites in a gloom filled room, why cry for a soul set free?
    Miss me a little...but not too long, and not with your head bowed low, remember the love that was once shared, miss me... but let me go.
    For this is a journey we all must take, and each must go alone.
    It's all a part of the Master's plan, a step on the road to home.
    When you are lonely and sick of heart, go to the family we know, and busy your sorrows in doing good deeds...Miss Me... But Let Me Go.
    Unknown

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will remember him in my prayer for the holy souls. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very best wishes and warmest regards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. Great story, cigars in pockets and all. I can still see the young, strong man from yesterday's picture in this one. Bless you and your family, I wish you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's not a coincidence. What a wonderful photo.

    You are in our prayers today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A WORD OF CONSOLATION

    If a tiny baby could think, it would be afraid of birth.
    To leave the only world it has know would seen a kind of death.
    But immediately after birth, the child would find itself in loving arms,
    showered with affection, and cared for at every moment.
    Surely the baby would say, “I was foolish to doubt God’s Plan for me.
    This is a beautiful life.”

    For the Christian, passing through death is really a birth into a new and better world. Those who are left behind should not grieve as if there were no hope.
    Life is changed, not taken away. Our dear ones live on, in a world beautiful beyond anything we can imagine. With Jesus and Mary, they await the day when they will welcome us with joy.

    “Do not grieve too much, they say to us. We are living and are still with you.”

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful story and Great Memories! Please accept my condolences for your loss. Love your site; Your Dad IS proud of The fine Son he brought into this world and raised!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this and the other photos and memories of your dad and your childhood.I loved the photo of dad, his two boys and the dog. It's easy to see the love in your family. And thank you for today's wonderful story. It's said there are no accidents--apparently two such good friends were meant to do everything together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I said goodbye to my grandfather this past Friday. He also spoke a cigar a day and drank a glass of Irish Whiskey a day. He lived til the ripe age of 89. God love him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a great tale -
    ~Mad(elyn) in Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful life. Your father has touched so many lives. You know you've done something right if your son pays tribute with such wonderful words.

    Savor this day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Que tu padre descanse en paz...I admire how much you love and cared for your dad. Mis sinceras condolencias.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A truly touching story. Thank you for taking an important turn in your Saturday routine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG thats so sweet. It made me tear up reading that. My thoughts and prayers are with your family and with his as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. May he rest in peace

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was searching google and come on your website. As these weren't old images I started to read.
    A very moving story and very well written. You capture the essence.
    I think this will stay with me for a very long time! It shows how meaningful life and friendships are. Thank you for sharing.
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete