Thursday, December 24, 2009

When More is Too Much?

First, I would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas Eve. Yep, we still say "Merry Christmas" here at OPOD. It is a season we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, who came into the world to save us from our sins. So there, I said it. How come we think that is so offensive today . . . that God decided to come to earth, and give us the free gift of Eternal Life. Call us old fashioned but that is what we believe here, and see no reason to take the good news out of the season.

With that of the way, lets get to the pictures. The picture above was taken in the 1910's, and shows a man with one big Handlebar Mustache. Notice that below the nose, it covers both the top and bottom lips. One wonders how one would eat with so much mustache in the way. For example, if he were sipping soup, one would think that the mustache would act as a soup strainer. I will say though that he does keep it immaculately manicured. Perhaps it even does not look that bad, but would be a big effort to keep clean and free of food debris. Overall, I think it looks pretty good, although I would never attempt to wear such a mustache.


I am not sure what to say about the mustache above. It looks like an unkempt lawn. This is one big bushy mustache, and appears to be growing wild. I feel if one chooses to wear this much facial hair, more effort should be expended in keeping it in check. I am afraid he either needs to neaten it up, or get rid of it.

DOMESTIC UPDATE:

Several people have asked about the baby chickens I mail ordered them in the summer and they came in the fall. I showed several pictures when they were just little chickies. I am happy to report that all ten have grown up, and have turned out to be quite a handsome flock of chickens. Below I present a picture of Chickie Town. You can see the flock of chickens in the foreground. In the background, you can see the chicken coup I had built for them. It is a neat design, and on the front, there is a flap door over the laying boxes, so you can lift it up and take the eggs out without having to walk in. I stole the design from the Amish, as I figured they probably know as much as anyone about raising chickens. There is a little pen to the side that is coon proof. The chickies put themselves to bed in the evening, and all I have to do is go out and close the little door. The chickies are very sociable. Each one has its own personality, and I really enjoy going out and giving them a little treat and watch them be chickens.

Behind the chicken coup, and to the right, you can see the peacock palace for Lovie, Handsome Jack, and the babies. The peacocks and chickens get along OK, but the peacocks don't put up with the chickens antics and let them know that they are two flocks, not one big happy flock.

On the topic of eggs, production has been somewhat disappointing to date. So far egg count is a big fat zero. I have yet to harvest my first egg from this operation. I am hopeful that in spring, I will start seeing eggs in the egg boxes.




21 comments:

  1. The 'unkempt lawn' mustache is obviously an attempt to make up for the lack of hair elsewhere on the heat. Perhaps he was thinking of moving it like sod?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the guy with the watch
    chain and thumb in pocket, looks
    like a retired gunfighter.

    Thanks for a good year of photos,
    PJM.

    And a Merry Christmas & Happy New
    Year to all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are, indeed, a handsome little flock. And I have lived in houses that were not as carefully and thoughtfully built as the castles for your pea fowl and chickens!

    Thank you for an interesting and entertaining year.

    Merry Christmas to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for saying why we celebrate Christmas! And a Merry Christmas to you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. +JMJ+
    Merry Christmas to you and yours, sir, and thank you again for a lovely site. Eggs will take a while, but once they start, you'll have plenty. Did you know there were mustache holders (like cloth holders) that mustache wearers could wear while eating and sleeping?
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am surprised Mr. Handlebar would commission such a fine, formal portrait and not bother to have his trousers freshly-pressed beforehand. Those sideways creases are NOT becoming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jus to drive Nate crazy, notice that this guy has the same chain fob that the guy yesterday had.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Grandfather had a mustache cup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas everyone!

    PJM, your blog is a bright spot in a weary world. Thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We say Merry Christmas here as well. Some things just shouldn't be tinkered with. Cute chickies by the way.

    Merry Christmas to all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You may have gotten the flock a little too late in the year for eggs yet. Up here in the frozen north we must get chickens asap in the spring to get eggs by fall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I could have my own chickies but in my New Jersey suburb, the clucking would not go down well with the neighbors.

    I don't know how those guys could eat, either. Maybe they had to hold up the 'stach with the non-eating hand.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The chickies are beeeeeeeeauuuuutiful! Love that rust against the black! As for the facial hair - which I usually love on a man- both of these men need a razor! They would look soooooo much better with a sculpturing--especially the bottom one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow that is a pretty fancy coop PJM. You can come build me one any day. It takes quite a while for chickens to start laying and the fact that you do not have a rooster may delay it even more. have patience!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Merideth,
    I did not actually build the coop, I was sort of the brains behind the whole operation, but I had someone with some actual skill and talent build it. I did come up with the design. By come up with, I mean I stole the design from the Amish. Well, so I guess I had very little to do with the chicken coop, other than organize the operation.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect for pushing the head off a beer berfore you sip.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the great photos. Here's hoping you find your tractor under the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got chicks in the middle of July and a couple hens started laying during a recent cold snap - it was in the 20's. I did not expect eggs until later, and they are a late maturing breed, so made no accommodation for nesting - I just want them to keep growing for a while. One hen chose a nice little spot in a depression. What she did not know was that the depression was under a roof eave. It started to rain, and she gamely sat in the pouring water and laid an egg in a puddle.

    ReplyDelete