Friday, September 25, 2009

Hunting

I have to say that I am sad to see Hunting Week come to an end. I enjoyed the spirited commentary among the visitors, and liked this set of pictures. We wrap things up with this picture which was taken in 1890. This guy appears to perhaps be more of a sport hunter. I am not sure what he is hunting for. It looks like he has a double barrel side-by-side shotgun. I have never hunted with dogs, so am not sure what might be going on. Perhaps he is a bird hunter and these are bird dogs.
DOMESTIC UPDATE: The Chickies have Landed.
I think I had mentioned last summer that I ordered a batch of baby chicks. I wanted 10, but the minimum order was 50. The reason is that with that many, they keep each other warm in shipping, and arrive all peeping. Well, the post office called yesterday morning, and said the chickies had arrived. Luckily my neighbor is one of the people who wanted some of the chickens, so she went and picked them up. She also remembered everyone who was in on the deal. So, when I got over to my neighbors house yesterday, the chickens had pretty much been sorted out. She gave me money that the people had given her. I don't remember how much the total order was, since it has been some time since I placed it, so I have no way of knowing if I ended up square on the deal, but that is OK since in the end I got my chickies. Since they were shipped by priority overnight federal express, the shipping was a lot . . . almost as much as the chickens. I am not sure anyone calculated the shipping into what they paid me.






13 comments:

  1. Here in Finland we use that kind of dogs in hare or fox hunting. We have an own finnish breed for that:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Hound

    Nice chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute, the chickies look adorable! I wish I had room for them. Now you must start thinking about naming them…

    ReplyDelete
  3. They would not hunt birds with that many dogs, to hard to control and they would be flush way to soon. Being the photo is taken in the woods, I would say he was coon hunting or some other animal that the dogs would tree. Just a guess now.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this picture! My guess would be they would be coon hounds~

    Chicks are adorable~ just like puppies...then they grow up!!
    Have a great weekend everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww... they are so cute..
    i want onee.(:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fox hounds(called Walkers in LA) are also used as deer hounds in Louisiana. They are great trailers and will literally run a deer, fox, or coyote to death before they give up. I have hunted the last 40 years with them and have seen them run up to 20 miles before they either lose scent or someone heads them off the scent trail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why not continue with hunting themes? Birds, water fowl, big game, fishing - there's all kinds of hunting.
    I named some of my seven chicks, Tooty, Tweedy, Black Bart (he'll be the rooster) and Alpha (the biggest hen chick). Frankly, I'm having a hard time telling the others apart right now, they are all black and growing fast. As a group they are called the Chicky Doodles. They are all quite friendly.
    Enjoy that fuzzy look - it disappears fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PJM...I just discovered your website a few days ago and I like it a lot. Great photos and comments. I will be returning often. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photo. Those are some beautiful dogs. Nice chicks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't get my fox terrier to sit still for five seconds, let alone how long they got all these hunting dogs to sit still for the exposure on this picture! Nice looking pack of dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Norkio
    If you check the photo closer you can see why those hounds sat still for the exposure - they are all tied!
    Here is an interesting link to coon hunting & interview with an old hunter. (I don't think the interviewer knows much about hunting.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooops - here is the coon hunting link
    http://www.coondawgs.com/tradition.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those dogs look like treeing walker coonhounds. They are beautiful! I live in Florida and I adopted a walker from the humane society. Most people think she is a big beagle. She is the nicest dog I have ever owned, although her nose can get her into trouble. She sleeps about 23hrs a day and is full of energy for 1 hour.

    ReplyDelete