Sunday, September 20, 2009

Hunting Season

It is hunting season once again in Texas, and we commemorate this by declaring this to be Hunting Week on Old Picture of the Day. This picture was taken in 1908, and shows a young boy that had just bagged a fine rabbit. You can bet his family had a nice batch of Rabbit Stew that night. It is hard for me to tell if he is carrying a rifle or a shotgun.
Growing up in Texas, I grew up loving hunting. I got my first BB gun when I was six years old. I would hunt birds with it. The rule around my house was that if you were ALWAYS responsible with the BB gun, at age 11 you could purchase a 22. With a 22 I could hunt rabbits and other varmints. A little later I was able to get a 410 shotgun, and then on up to a deer rifle. When I was in High School and College, there was nothing I liked more than going deer hunting. I loved being out early with my friends, and all the things that went along with hunting. When I moved to New Mexico, I was no longer able to hunt, since I did not have a place there to hunt. Now that I am back, I don't hunt. It is funny in that all the other things about hunting still appeal to me, but for some reason, I just don't want to shoot a deer. I am in favor of hunting, and am all for people who hunt, I just personally no longer want to kill a deer. Maybe I am getting soft in my old age.

11 comments:

  1. As Ron White says, It's to early and to cold and I just don't want to get up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to guess it is a shotgun.
    The barrel is to large to be a .22.
    It looks like a single shot .410 or 16 gauge.\
    R

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe you can go Peacock hunting, they say they taste like chicken LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hunting is ok as long as you eat what you kill. hunting for sport is inhumane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back in the early 50's, we had a really bad winter, The roads were so bad, my father couldn't drive into Dallas to work. He took our dog and his 22 and went rabbit hunting. He brought back a burlap sack full of rabbits. We had rabbit stew, rabbit & dumpling, & rabbit chili. We also shared with the neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Killing a deer because you wish to feed your family is one thing. Going to the market for our victuals renders deer killing unnecessary in most places.

    The boy in the photo helped to put a meal on the table.

    And it is OK if we get a little 'soft' in our advanced age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This coming Tuesday is actually the first ever Alberta Hunting Day. I'm also a big suppourter of hunting. It's a real shame in Canada that many of the rules and regulations placed on gun owners and hunters are done by those who have no clue about the sport.
    Hopefully awareness spreads about hunting to change its image in the public to something other than just a blood-sport.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PJM,
    If you like hunting but don't want to kill deer, what would you hunt now? Or you mean you don't mind if others hunt and you'd accept a gift of venison, you just don't want to hunt anymore yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fantastic photograph. The way this kid has his gun thrown over his shoulder and is putting on his best nonchalant attitude exudes pride.

    As for hunting, if you eat it, then it's a more honest relationship to the animal that's dying to feed you than buying meat at the store. But what do I know - I'm a vegetarian...

    ReplyDelete
  10. +JMJ+

    It all depends on how hungry you are. Also, porcupines are always fair game.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you,I just don't have the desire to kill a deer! Maybe it's too many Bambi movies lol! I think there is just too much killing going on,too much cruelty and total disreguard for life period! I am a former Marine,Viet Nam vet with an Honerable discharge so I am not a anti gun person,I love to shoot and love the conceled carry law.It's things like the island by France where they use kittens and puppys (live)for shark bait!I would use them as bait,we need to value all life period.The blood lust must stop or we will wind up an endangered species ourselves.I agree,the market makes hunting unnecessary.Thanks George

    ReplyDelete