Friday, September 11, 2009

Chicago Ferris Wheel

This is a picture of the Ferris Wheel at the 1893 Chicago World Fair. Wow, I had no idea it was so big. Notice that where a typical ride would have a two person seat, this one has what looks like a small room.

OK, in my earlier post I might have left the impression that I did not like Chicago because of the airport. I should clarify, I do not like Chicago for MANY reasons. Here is an example. I had to go to a meeting in Chicago. When I left the hotel, there was a terrible snow storm. It was like a complete white out. It was freezing cold. Then I walk into the meeting half frozen, with my hand stuck to my briefcase and I say, "Wow, that is some snow storm". Then they tell me that it is not snowing, that that is "Lake Effect". They said it as if I had not really seen 6 cars that morning off the road and stuck in the ditch, or a semi truck turned over and on fire. They acted as if it was my imagination that the ends of my appendages were turning black from frostbite, and the end of my nose had icicles, or that my eyes were frozen open. Nope, none of that was happening, it was all just lake effect. Now, I am not saying you should not like Chicago. I am not calling for a boycott of Chicago, I am just saying I am happy I will never have to go there again.

13 comments:

  1. Hi...for myself I have no trouble with cold...but windy cold is a different story!..we have a telling in sweden roughly translated: there is no bad weather only bad clothes

    well you can get good clothes for cold weather ..but if its windy..nothing helps!

    by the way..we do not have wild polar bears running down the street...thats just a plain rumour :)

    /Swede girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annalena, everyone knows that the polar bears are running here in Finland...

    Lake effect - we have over 20 000 lakes, and as many effects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well kariav..I guess it wasnt polar bears that hit your streets..but some strange pills ;)

    /Swede girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I additionally get the impression that the people in Chicago were not all too friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PJM,
    so sorry to hear that you will not be visiting us in the best of our seasons!!!
    Winter fun is the BEST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What "Lake Effect" refers to is when a high wind blow across Lake Michigan during winter it creates it's own snow storm. There may not be snow any where else but right there. That happens all winter long and is not considered a snow storm. So hence "Lake Effect Snow"
    R

    ReplyDelete
  7. The original Ferris Wheel used Pullman train cars to carry passengers! Each car could hold 200 I believe, and the fully loaded Wheel held 3000! A ride lasted 20 minutes and it also took 20 minutes to unload and load all the cars. If you wanted to go on the Wheel, you needed to dedicate a good hour or more just to that. The windows were covered with open grates so one could look out but not jump out, although there were a couple jumpers I think. There was also a concern with anxiety, but only a few chairs in each car and only one way in/out. There is NO way I'd be on that ride since I'm afraid of heights and terrified of the regular ol' ferris wheel now, lol.

    The Ferris Wheel was apparently a feat in engineering intended to surpass the Eifel Tower which had been erected in Paris for the previous World's Exhibition. Sadly, it wasn't intended to be permanent and eventually some 40 years later was sold for scrap.

    http://pastperiodspress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What makes the cold so biting in Chicago is the wind off lake Michigan. I believe there is nothing worse than a damp, bone-chilling, icy wind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband grew up in Elyria, Ohio. He also mentioned the Lake Effect snow as a very miserable thing.
    In his opinion, the only nice time of year in Ohio was autumn. He was thrilled to leave Ohio for the cool fogs of California.
    He also said the first earthquake he ever experienced was during a business trip to Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ever since I read "Devil in the White City", I've wanted to see a really good photo of the wheel. Wow, it was huge! Apparently the idea was to construct something to trump the recently built Eiffel Tower...there was a contest and this design was the winner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Re: The Ferris Wheel
    The Eiffel Tower wasn't supposed to be permanent either! The permit was for 20 years, and one of the design requirements was that it could be easily dismantled. By the time the permit expired and ownership reverted to the city of Paris it was too useful as a communications tower and tourist center.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't see that 200 people would be able to fit into each car.
    There are 36 cars and at 84 people per car, you would have 3024 people.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, where do you get all of your pictures?

    ReplyDelete