Thursday, September 10, 2009

Chicago Columbian Exposition

Looks like I finally figures out how to get people to comment on my posts this week . . . say something bad about Chicago, and then everyone comes out and makes comments. Today, I take a slightly different strategy, which is to post a somewhat interesting picture. I will admit that this week my pictures have been a little flat, as I have been way behind on a lot of different work. Today though, I think this is a pretty good picture. It was taken in 1893, and shows the Columbian World Exposition in Chicago. You can see the big Ferris Wheel right in the middle of the picture. (Note to self- See if cool picture or criticizing Chicago gets more visitor comments)

12 comments:

  1. Ooooooo! Thanks for the photo! My grandparents went to this! Ooooooo! Electric lights! Back home it was kerosene lamps and wood burning stove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! All of your pics are great. And your site is appreciated. You do a GREAT job. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flag of Chicago has four stars. The third star represents the Columbian Exposition. Certainly a highlight in Chicago's past!

    ReplyDelete
  4. +JMJ+

    I was born in Illinois. Chicago traffic *ucks and the suburbs are eating up most of northeastern Ill. On the other hand, I'm behind too this week. Great pictures.
    (and for Chicago fans, yes, the museums are wonderful and the Eastern cities are even worse). Also, Chicago has the CUBS!!!!!!!
    Yes!!! (and lots of masochistic fans)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone did not like the picture of the stockyards. Actually I would like to see more of that. It's a very important part of Chicago history. The seed money for the fine buildings, museums, institutions, the very famous symphony are all due to commerce.
    Never the less, I still have no desire to see Chicago - when I go on vacation, I like to visit Northern Nevada. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that stuff was high tech at the time

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting it would have been to take a balloon ride back then! We all know what the scenery below us looks like now from photos, Google Earth and flying being easier and more readily accessible now, but imagine you were in that balloon over the expo or seeing your town from the air for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am curious about the balloon. Today's balloons are brightly and colorfully decorated.

    Of course, just the fact that one could go aloft in such a thing was inviting.

    I wonder what the cost of the 'ride' was and for how long it lasted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredible "simulation" of the event. This is the cultural essence of Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool picture.

    Though I do like Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another great pic :)

    /Swede girl

    ReplyDelete