Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mary Todd

OK, today we feature a picture by Mathew Brady of First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln, wife of Abraham Lincoln.

So, I officially won the mystery person contest yesterday. This was the first time I was able to win by stumping everyone for 24 hours. From the git go, everyone was on the wrong track, guessing people associated with Laundry or cleaning products. The mistake that you all made is that you thought the person was associated with last week's theme, which was laundry, as opposed to this week's theme, which is First Ladies. If you had thought to go with this week's theme, it would have been very easy, in that the clothing identified the time frame, and there were only a couple of possible first ladies to guess. I was shaking in my boots last night as a few people started guessing Grace Coolidge. I was fearful that my victory would be snatched from my hands, but in the end, I did win. I also thought it was a brilliant move on my part to require people to refer to me in third person. I would ridicule and scold people who submitted an entry that was not in third person, and so this turned out to be a diversionary tactic that threw people off their game. I was sort of surprised that no one got it, because some of the ones in the past had been much, much harder.

Domestic Update: I have brilliantly completed a new project. To all you naysayers out there that scolded me for paying someone to build the peacock palace, this is where I show my true handyman skills. I have built Lovie and the Chickies a nice little enclosed yard behind the peacock palace. It is enclosed on all sides, and top and bottom, with heavy hail wire to keep the coons out. There is a small door in the palace that allows the birds to go in and out of the palace, into the yard. I have a piece of canvas over part of it for shade. Lovie and the Chickies love the yard, and split their time between the Peacock Palace and the yard. Mrs. PJM was delighted with the project, and and all the things I accomplished this summer. I would say my points have never been higher with her. This combined with my stunning victory in the Mystery Person contest indeed puts me in high esteem.


18 comments:

  1. It would appear that you are well on the way to that new tractor. Now the question is when to bring it up to Mrs PJM. I would suggest one more successful project, then go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al,
    I have one more project in mind to complete before school starts. It will be the icing on the cake. It will certainly solidify my plans to receive a tractor next year. Stay tuned in, as I imagine to pull it off shortly.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  3. PJM - Congrats on winning the contest. I didn't get to turn on my computer until 10:00 pm and I was going to guess Mrs. Astor, but I was wrong.

    You definitely deserve the tractor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nate Maas would like to congratulate PJM on his victory yesterday. Well played.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your victory,
    PJM. You deserve it, after all the work you've put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally! You won both the challenge and the favor or Mrs. PJM. Congratulations!

    I had a look at the First Ladies and guessed Florence Kling Harding. Guess I should have kept going down the list, especially when you replied "Donna has come up short."

    ReplyDelete
  7. PJM;



    Great job PJM, - you're on a roll now...!

    Are you contemplating an antique tractor or a more modern model...?

    I'm sure you'll shortly be appending you're name with the titled abbreviation GF .....

    (gentleman farmer)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna,
    You had me shaking in my boots when you started guessing first ladies. I was terrified as I saw you were getting hot on the trail. Luckily time ran out.

    Ross,
    If I get a tractor, it will have to be a new one. I am not a tinkerer, and would not be good at keeping a classic running. I want the New Holland one that comes with the front end loader. Then I want the pull behind mower, the tiller/plow, and the hole digger attachment.

    In another week, I will share my final summer time project. It will be one that promises to thrill and delight Mrs. PJM. I have to keep it secret for now.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary Todd Lincoln was very misunderstood and tragic figure.

    During the Civil War, the Northerners didn't like her because she was from the South, but the Southerners accused her of treason.

    She was impulsive and extravagant, but shattered by her husband's assassination.

    Later, the death of her oldest son pushed her over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You said earlier that as long as Mrs PJM was happy, everyone was happy; therefore, you must be happy with the fact that she is happy not to let you have a tractor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How will you clean the pen? Can the whole unit be moved so you can rake the ground? Don't their feet ever touch the dirt?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anon,
    The peacocks will not live in there permanently. Early next spring, I will start letting them out to roam. After spending 6-8 months in the house and pen, they learn that is there home, and they will roam around during the day, and then go in their house at night. After they go in, then I close the door. Coons, Fox, and skunks roam at night, so that is when you have to protect them.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  13. You didn't answer the question - how can they scratch to keep their toenails trimmed and how will you clean the poop from the pen. Those babies will be big soon enough and pooping big.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see your proud poppa peacock fan from all the way up here (in my state). And my, but does your wait seem worth the show! You foiled your followers and fashioned an estate for your pea-pets. A mighty fine day; the 1st of August will forevermore be noted as PJM Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tina,
    PJM day. PJM likes the sound of that. PJM must go share the idea with Mrs. PJM.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  16. POPE GEORGE RINGOAugust 3, 2009 at 6:38 AM

    Congratulations! Very clever manuever; we were all thinking of washing machines. I personally thought that perhaps the woman now identified as Mrs. Taft, may have had something to do with perfecting laundry detergent. I could not even come up with a name this week. Good show!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I like the idea of a PJM day as well, but only if it is the one day. We can't allow you to win ever, ever again, but it was still fun all the same. I'm usually always late to the Saturday post, so it was a quest I quite enjoyed even though I came up short. Sorry about the "shaking in your boots". :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm acquainted with a woman who is a descendant of MTL. She looks a lot like her, with the soft doughy face. MTL embodies the lovely, soft, round figure that was popular in the 1860s.

    ReplyDelete