Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Grocery Store

Today's picture comes from Lincoln, Nebraska, and was taken in 1942. Despite a more limited selection, I would much rather shop at a store like this than the modern behemoths like Super Walmart. Unfortunately, little grocery stores like this are pretty much a thing of the past in most places.

DOMESTIC UPDATE: OK, I finally got my Internet connection back up this morning, so no more sneaking around town looking for an open WiFi connection to post the Old Picture of the Day. As someone said in a comment yesterday, there are some downsides to rural living, and one is poor Internet service. A small price to pay for a more relaxed lifestyle, I say.

The peacocks are doing well. Lovie is a wonderful mother, and little Festus continues to distinguish himself as a wonderful little pea-chick. Now, there is the issue that the babies are growing up quickly, and are outgrowing the cage on the screened in porch. As you know, I contracted two weeks ago for the construction of Mrs. PJM's Peacock Palace. However, the contractor has not started on the project yet. When I call and ask, he says he is waiting on the cement man to do the foundation/floor. He is unable to give me a firm start date, and the babies are getting bigger every day. Hopefully they will be able to start soon.

Many have written and expressed concern over the cost of the Peacock Palace, as it was totally not expected when I took delivery of the "Free" peacock flock. Well, I am happy to tell you that money is no longer an issue. I have found an amazing source of revenue which will pay for the Peacock Palace, and pretty much whatever else I want. I know, you probably think I am going to try to get you to buy my amazing get rich quick system. No, you are wrong, I am going to give it to you for free. Not just part of it, but the whole system. Almost anyone can do it, and it promises to end all your financial struggles. What is it you ask? Well, I have two simple words for you . . . Selling Lightbulbs. I know, I know, you all are thinking that you can not possibly make money selling lightbulbs as they wholesale for about 67 cents, and retail for about 80 cents. There could not possibly be any money to be made in lightbulbs. Well, there is a trick, and that trick is that you keep selling the same lightbulbs over and over. Here is how it works; If I walk into a room and daughter has left a light on, and no one is in the room, I take the lightbulb. If she wants the lightbulb back, she has to buy it from me for $1. She is welcome to purchase lightbulbs elsewhere, but we are 40 minutes from the nearest Walmart, so she just buys the missing bulb from me. If one lightswitch controls, say, 4 light bulbs, and the switch is left on, I take all 4 lightbulbs. The system not only generates revenue from the sale and resale of lightbulbs, it has also had a noticeable impact on the electric bill.

The program has worked so well, I have recently expanded it. If a lamp is left on, I take the whole lamp. Cost to buy the lamp back is $20. Ceiling fans are going for $50 + $35 re-installation fee. Curling irons are going for $10, and TV's are $250.

Yep, the Peacock Palace will be paid for in no time.

21 comments:

  1. I LOVE your light bulb plan and will institute it in this household immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my house, most everyone would rather be in the dark than buy back a bulb...man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Light bulbs!!!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sink update?????

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan,
    The sink remains non-functional. I have been distracted by preparing for the Peacock Palace construction, by the internet outage, and by a nasty virus on my computer. I do hope to get back to project sink soon.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great.

    I have a similar system with laundry, but I don't make any money on it, it just keeps things neater and easier.

    Now that my daughter is home from college, she likes me to do her wash. Fine, she's a great kid, and I'm happy to do it. I put her clean laundry on her dresser in the morning.

    But . . if it's not put away before she leaves the house, then I throw it in the garbage (and she won't get it out, it's too gross due to cat litter issues).

    I've been doing that since she was in high school. Also, she has to vacuum the entire house top to bottom, every morning before she goes anywhere. I've been making her do that since she was 12, too. And she can't leave until she makes her bed.

    So now she just gets up and does those things before anything else.

    It works nicely. I have a reputation for being rather strict.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PJM:

    Did YOU name the mommy peacock LOVIE????

    How cute that is. My husband calls our kitty "daddy's baby" but he won't admit it to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smartgirl,
    Yes, the mama peacock is Lovie. She really is a sweet bird, and very good to the babies. One baby is named Festus, but the other 3 have not been named.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to do that with my kids. I would put their shoes, toys ,etc. on the chair at their place at the dinner table. They had to put them where they belonged, before they could have supper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought you might be interested in this article about peafowl in Los Angeles: http://tinyurl.com/ledcdl

    I agree, I'd prefer to shop at a little grocery like that. I'd also like to shop at a butcher, a bakery and a sundries store, but they are sadly almost all gone. The only successful butcher and baker out here are Mexican ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should clarify that the stores are a panderia and a carneceria, not how that came out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If your wife is willing to overspend on the peacocks, then why won't she let you get a tractor?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anon,
    The Peacocks were for Mrs. PJM, not me, so that is one difference. Second is the concern about the tractor was not so much the cost but that she feared I would use it once, and hten lose interest. Totally unfounded concern I say.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your 'revenue generation' scheme is awesome.

    However, people begin to catch on and start turning off lights and appliances. I guess the money saved by not paying for unnecessary energy might help to a degree.

    Good luck on financing your Peacock Emporium.

    And congratulations on getting your Internet back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant income idea!
    Like this weeks pics, too.
    Love Festus as the name of your spunky chick.
    Lovie? as in Mrs. Thurstan Howell, III?
    What are your other name pea-chick considerations? Do you have gender verification?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tina,
    The other chicks have not been named yet, and we really have not created a list of possible names. We need more time to see a personality emerge.

    As far as "Lovie" . . . My great gandmother had an old black housekeeper. She was loved by everyone, and had lots of children, grandchilden, and so on. Everyone loved her, and her nickname was "Lovie". The peacock was named after her.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  17. PJM
    Thanks for posting these pictures. I am a modeler in HO scale and these fit the era I'm modeling. The little details like the Dutch Cleanser woman painted on the glass are things that are often forgotten. Thank You, Keep the old pictures coming.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Funny thing, but the older people I know who really remember shopping in small markets remember things differently from those who view it through the rosy tint of a retroscope. It's pleasant to think of the old time marketing when we have so many choices NOW, but it was a different when that small market was your ONLY store. If you needed something different it had to be special ordered and was expensive.

    My parents remembered the limited inventory, the fact that you had to buy produce on delivery day to guarantee freshness. Most of the time the only produce that held up was cabbage, potatoes and onions. They only had green salads a couple days a week because nice lettuce was only available on delivery day. In our town, I remember how happy my mother was when a supermarket opened because there were more choices and better prices.

    In my area a few of the old markets have survived the influx of supermarkets by offering something really good: one is known for the beer selection, one for the butcher department, another expanded the deli. The others closed long ago. Remember, the large stores didn't close the "mom and pop" businesses, the customers did - because they decided to shop elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I grew up shopping at a small propieter owned grocery store. Produce was fresh, workers were friendly and helpful. Chicken was not bloated freakish over-medicated, over-homonized creatures like today. Tomatoes tasted garden fresh. Yes, I definitely enjoyed both the product and the shopping experience much better. The closest today, in my mind, is Whole Foods. Whole foods is insanely expensive, but boy is the food good.
    PJM

    ReplyDelete
  20. PJM:

    We have a several Whole Foods store here in Rhode Island, too!!!

    I didn't know they were a national chain.

    You're right, the store is great, but "Insanely expensive" is an understatement. You need to take out a second mortgage on your house to do any regular shopping there.

    I only go there for "specialty" items, such as when I'm entertaining. My daughter goes there for boxes of Bigelows "Plantation Mint" Tea, it's the only place around here that carries it. (Uh-oh, there's that "offensive" word again - Plantation!!)

    Whole foods has great prepared foods, too, but it's actually cheaper to eat in a restaurant and be waited on while you're at it.

    What amazes me is thatdespite the economy, Whole Foods is jammed all the time.

    ReplyDelete