Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Gas Station

This is a picture of an old gas station taken in the 1940's. The station belonged to my grandfather, and you can see him standing out front by the gas pump. He would wash your windshield, check your oil, and check your tire pressure as he filled your car with gas. I have to admit that I am often nostalgic for the old days where Mom and Pop businesses took pride in their premium customer service. Something has been lost when those working in stores are minimum wage college students, who really do not care at all about the customer or the job.

8 comments:

  1. Back then the pump ran very slowly, giving the attendant plenty of time to check fluids, pressures, and clean windows.

    As well, in spite of the gallons meter progressing slowly, the price meter ran even slower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PJM:

    I agree, I miss those days, too. Wish I had a time machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't born yet, but I do remember those old gas stations when I was a kid in the late 50's and early 60's. We use to viist my grandparents in rural GA. and I can remember going inside and getting soda for a dime and candy for a penny...awww the good ole days

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm fascinated by the ornate steel scrollwork holding up the sign--such a contrast with the spare, plain, functional (or maybe not even functional) construction of everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonder if there were an "Green Stamps"?

    ReplyDelete