Monday, November 17, 2008

Steam Locomotive

A week or so ago someone posted a message expressing interest in seeing more pictures of trains. I realized I had been delinquent for some time in posting a train picture. This is a great one from 1942 showing an old Steam Locomotive. I love these old trains, and really look back with longing at the days you travelled by rail. There is a spectacular train ride that goes between Durango and Silverton in southern Colorado. It is an old narrow gauge railroad that snakes through the mountains and passes. It still uses the original steam locomotives. If you have not had a chance to take that ride, it is truly a world-class experience. Put it on your list of things to do before you die.

I wanted to thank all of you who visited the Picture Indian WEB site yesterday. The students had over 3,000 visitors yesterday, and over 25 emails congratulating them on a fine job. I will let you know tomorrow how they react today in class over the numbers. I wanted to extend a special thanks to xoxoxoBruce who provided a nice link to their site from his site, The Cellar, and the Crawfords as well, who provided a nice link. They also got a nice email from Kent Wood, a world-renowned photographer, who will be giving them a few photography tips for their upcoming field trip to Fort McKavett. I wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate your support. I wish you could see the impact this project is having on the lives of these students. I will keep you posted.

6 comments:

  1. Is this at the Union Railway Museum?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture - makes me wish I was there!!!

    It looks like it's being painted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. realy beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many scenic railroads and railroad museums in the US. Some of them operate steam and others have vintage diesel locomotives. The thing they need most is riders. Many people are unaware of the ones in their own back yards. Have a fun day, go ride a train, and tell everyone you know to ride them too.
    Search for scenic or tourist railroads.
    Most of the fare money is put right back into the railroad, and by supporting them they have a better chance of being here for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PA train lover,

    Thanks for the heads up. Summer trip in '09 if I can find one in New England.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regarding your students… I received a nice "Thank You" e-mail from the class. They seem like terrific kids.

    As a kid I would hear the locomotives at the train station building up their head of steam so they could pull away toward their respective destination.

    Great memories.

    ReplyDelete