Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Roughneck

This is a picture from 1941 showing an oilfield roughneck on a rig in the Goodrich field. The man works for the Continental oil company. A long time ago I had worked as a roughneck on an oil rig. It is a very hard job. The job was 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. To make matters harder, it was a two hour drive to the rig, and a two hour return drive. This left little time for sleep, and the work was very difficult. There was something very exciting about the roughneck life. Roughnecks are some sort of combination of cowboys and outlaws. There is definitely something very exciting about the lifestyle, and roughnecks live by their own set of rules. It is potentially one of the last remaining jobs where you do not have to be politically correct.

4 comments:

  1. God Bless our roughnecks, especially TEXAS ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I am not and was never a "roughneck," I'm STILL not politically correct, and I don't EVER intend to be so.

    I tell it like it IS. That's the problem with our society today, we keep "pussyfooting" around things.

    Not me.

    ps - the roughneck lifestyle certaini had a certain appeal . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must have been taken before his shift started. Amongst the many drillers I've hung around, I've never seen one so clean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am really astonished with old photos. even if they use old films, the picture seems very clear and very crisp. very dramatic. i like this portrait.

    ReplyDelete