Thursday, October 23, 2008

Pay Day

This picture was taken in 1940 and shows a group of workers lined up on payday to receive their checks. I can remember a long time ago having jobs where there was a payday, and you would go get your check. You would then go to the bank, cash the check, and you would have money that you would decide how to spend. I can remember feeling rich having a little money in my pocket for the things I wanted.

Now days, if you are like me, the paycheck is automatically deposited into your bank account. Then places like the phone company, gas company, water company, and other places automatically take from your account what you owe them each month. The funny thing is, it is like I never see the money. I work real hard, and just watch the money as it zips past me, running out of my account as quickly as it is running in. I have to say I liked the old way better. It felt more like I was really getting paid for my work. Payday was always a good day.

4 comments:

  1. I'm in the same situation and I agree completely.
    I also think it's contributed to a whole generation, or two, that don't have a feel for the value of money.
    They never handle cash; every transaction is plastic or numbers on a screen.
    Cash and credit have merged into nebulous concept, keeping people from having a firm grasp on their financial reality, so they don’t realize they’re living in a bubble… until it bursts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I don't use auto pay anything. I have to touch it all. I sit at my kitchen table, write checks, stick stamps to envelopes. I sound like my grandpa, and I'm only 41!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do a lot of automatic bill paying now, but having paid the bills by check or even cash at the window for a long time, I can definitely appreciate the concept of payday. I know that on Friday I will have more money than I had on Thursday and I'll be able to pay a bill, go grocery shopping, etc. but by Thursday the next week I've got to be careful with my spending. I agree that the electronicization of money has removed some of its reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Change is the only constant.
    Learn to embrace it and enjoy.
    Now we must learn the value of disembodied numbers. The benefit; less time in line.

    I for one would rather sit on the patio with my Grandson, than stand in a line waiting to collect my paycheck only so that I can stand in another to deposit it into the bank.

    ReplyDelete