Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ronald Reagan

This photograph was taken in 1976, and shows President Ronald Reagan (image Courtesy of the Ronald Reagan Library). I can remember when Reagan was president. I was a young man in college at the time. What I can remember most is that I always felt safe when Reagan was president. I felt like there was a man in charge with his eye on the ball, and that no matter what came up in the world, Reagan could take care of it. Carter was president when I was in High School, and I always felt very unsafe. It was not a political issue . . . at the time I really did not care about politics, I just had this uneasy feeling that the man was not up for the job, and I feared he was being manipulated and out-maneuvered by the Iranians during the Iranian Hostage Crisis.

I watched the presidential forum last night with Rick Warren at Saddleback church. First, I was immensely impressed with what Rick Warren did . . . I thought it was a great venue for learning more about the candidates. I appreciated the fact that both Rick and the audience were respectful of both candidates, and that it was a chance to get a better perspective on the two men.

With that said, I have to tell you that I am not really happy with the choice we have for President this year. I find it hard to believe that either of these two people would be best qualified to lead us through the immense challenges we face in the world today. Barack Obama is a profoundly gifted orator. But, when you get past the moving sound bites, I find him woefully naive about the threats and challenges we face in the world today. I find John McCain to be an honorable man who has served his country well. I respect him, and appreciate his service. At the same time, I can not help but wonder if he still has the fire-in-the-belly needed to be President. I am sad to say, that I worry that he might be a tired old man, or might be a tired old man by the time he is a few years into his term. I wish we had a choice like John Chambers, T. Boone Pickens, Jack Welch, or [Pick your favorite Successful Corporate Executive].

Again, I am not expressing a political opinion, I am just saying that I dont see the two men running for president as being gifted Leaders.

11 comments:

  1. Ditto. My sentiments exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meanwhile, the rest of the world was terrified that we'd die horribly in a nuclear holocaust because of the insane Cold War. And it'll be pretty much the same again if 100-year-war McCain gets elected. When will humanity learn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was a good president, not perfect, but good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can well remember my saying that Reagan, when he announced, was just another has-been movie star that could not represent the real American public. Luckily, the had his Saturday commentary that I listened to as I drove between my dad's house and mine. I gradually managed to supress my dislike and listen to his wisdome on national and international issues. By the election, I was firmly decided he should be President.

    The above is said to remind me that prejudgement is one of man's serious shortcomings. I believe I must vote for McCain because, as a senior citizen (very), I know there is more experience and applied leadership in his mine that Obama could develop in the next 40 years. Additionally, John has much more integrety that Obama has been able to show anyone.

    No one is experienced at presidenial leadership except some of the US's large corporate leaders, but the presidency of a private corporation is not in any way parallel to the Presideny of the US. Also, the corporate guy could not afford the paycut to work for us.

    I think that McCain will grow quickly as Reagan did especially if he can attract a solid Cabnet to help him in the 100's of daily decisions that must be made in that office.

    I'll get down off this soap box now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There have been fourteen presidents in my lifetime. I even met LBJ at the Johnson Ranch once. I have never failed to vote in 56 years and usually my man didn't get elected. Of all the presidents, Ronald Reagan seemed to be the most personable and approachable. He had to be my favorite. What a great day when he said "Mikhail Gorbachec, TAKE DOWN THAT WALL!" What a wonderful picture of him. Thanks, CR

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was 10 or so, I wrote a letter to President Reagan. He wrote me back. That impressed me deeply. I have also written to President Bush 1 and President Clinton for other reasons (not the typical 'what the heck are you doing' kind of letters). I got nothing from Bush and a form letter from Clinton. I still have the note that President Reagan took the time to send to a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked President Reagan too! It seemed like he was a no nonsense kind of guy. I get the same feeling about McCain. I also watched the Interview from Saddleback church on saturday night and enjoyed it immensely! It was nice to see someone be straightforward and decisive, a no nonsense kind of guy, says it like it is.....not beating around the bush and skirting the questions. McCain said he thinks the best days are ahead and he feels that he is qualified to lead us. Given our choices, I believe he is. W have to remember though, without support from the Senate & House of Representatives, the President is nothing. Hopefully there will be some cleaning up of Congress people that don't put the country's best interest before their own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Couldn't agree with you, More!! No one that I've talked with wants either one in office....happy night to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I respect intelligence over political hackery, my vote goes to Obama.

    And Reagan played a great president, but I guess that's what actors do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ronald Reagan was my hero. I wish everyday that he was still our president. What a wonderful world leader he was. I cried for days when he died, and just seeing his photo here, I'm tearing up again.

    ReplyDelete