Thursday, July 3, 2008

Summer Time Ice Cream

This picture was taken in 1940, and shows some boys making ice cream with an old time "crank" style ice cream makers. The ice cream was being made for a church social. The picture was taken near Yanceyville, Caswell County, North Carolina.
I can remember we had this type of ice cream maker when I was a boy. I don't see them much any more. Now, I have one of the new type, with a canister you put in the freezer. I think the old style ones like in this picture make better ice cream.

3 comments:

  1. I agree - I had icecream made the old way and man you can't beat it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish is right. It is better the old way because you have to work to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the thing that caught my eye is the huge discrepancy between the way the boys are dressed. On the right, the fellow seems to be in overalls, but with brand new shoes. The one with the hat is definitely a fashion plate; then you have the one with no shoes, pretty shabby, as it the boy at the crank. The surroundings are also incongruous. This is photo just fills my mind with questions!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete