Sunday, July 27, 2008

Cowboys

I love this old picture of Texas Cowboys in camp. The picture was taken in about 1902 on the XIT ranch in Texas. When I look at this picture, I have trouble figuring out whether they are eating breakfast or supper. What do you think? For some reason, I think they are eating breakfast.

In any event, they are eating better than my family is. It has now been 49 days since my family has had a hot meal. In case you have not been following the blog closely, you can go here to read the whole story of my KitchenAid Dual Fuel Range Nightmare. I have gotten a number of emails from concerned readers asking if any progress has been made in the last week. I am sad to report that no progress has been made. I got a call from the repair center, and they said that they had gotten a big box of parts in for my oven. Apparently, the box was not quiet big enough, in that there were still several more parts that they are waiting on before they can come and try to fix the stove again. In any case, we are doing as best we can to survive on granola bars, apple slices, peanut butter, and the emergency supplies we had left over from the Y2K emergency that never materialized. Yesterday my daughter went out and was able to pick some algarita berries from behind the house, and we continue to forage for things that can be eaten without a working stove.

Summary of my Stove Debacle as of 7/27/2008:

Calls to the Factory: 7

Visits from the Repairman: 3

Days Since I have had a Hot Meal: 49


5 comments:

  1. I think its breakfast, you would think they would put up the tents before eating. But it seems probable they would take them down before breakfast. I assume those big things are tents.

    About your stove, do you have a BBQ? You can cook anything in the BBQ. Cake, pizza, veggies. You name it, it can be grilled or baked. My dad used to make pineapple upside down cake in the BBQ.

    At least you could get a hot meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure if it is breakfast of supper, but shame on them either way for eating in front of you when you can't get a hot meal!
    I think they could at lest make an extra piece of toast for you *giggle*(I hope you get the stove fixed soon)
    Seiously the photo is great, I love this blog. Where do find all these wonderful pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you not have a microwave? I mean, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to talk to a college student. There's nothing you can't do with an electric kettle, toaster oven, and microwave... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Cowboys have Hot Meals AND they do not have a kitchen range...now, how do ya suppose they manage????? If you can't help yourself in this matter, better go ask Grandma...she survived this "victim" status many times and made do with what she had available. Tsk, tsk, tsk!! forty-nine days, indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete