Friday, March 28, 2008

Wall Street Stock Brokers

This picture was taken in 1920, and shows Curb Brokers on Wall Street in New York City. Up until 1929, the American Stock Exchange was known as the New York Curb Exchange. This is because brokers would meet outside, on the curb, with lists of stock for sale, or that were wanted. It became so crowded, popular, and loud, that hand signals had to be introduced as a means of communication between buyers and sellers. The exchange moved indoors in 1921.

2 comments:

  1. I've always been a little sad that hats went out of style. Everyone used to wear hats - it was neat. :)

    Hello, friend! Haven't been by in a while, I need to catch up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on the hats. No one wears hats anymore. Where I live, the cowboys wear baseball caps. I wonder if stylish hats will ever make a come back

    ReplyDelete