Sunday, March 30, 2008

Bathing Beauty

This photo was taken in about 1949. The girl in the old style bathing suit with the monkey is my mom. I had posted earlier about this little monkey, Junior, that worked at my grandfather's gas station. Each year my grandfather would take his wife and three daughters to Port Aransas, on the Texas Gulf Coast for a week of fun at the beach. Naturally, they had to take Junior the monkey along with them, as he could not run the gas station by himself.

I guess my mom was not satisfied with the amount of attention she would generate by showing up at the beach with a smart, cute little monkey, so she decided to wear this 1910's era swimsuit as well. I am not sure who the little blond girl is, but she seams amused by my mom, and her monkey.

If you look down at the end of the pier, you can see my grandfather, "Poachin' Jack", fishing from the pier. You can pick him out, as he was the only one wearing a hard hat to the beach that day. My grandfather was very proud of being a roughneck, and I never saw him that he was not wearing his hard hat. As always, he was fishing without the required Fishing License.

A photographer for a San Antonio newspaper was at the beach that day, and took this photograph of my mom, and Junior the Monkey. It appeared in the San Antonio newspaper, and then got picked up by a news service, and appeared in many newspapers across the country. So, my mom pulled off a pretty good little publicity stunt at the age of 17.

So whatever happened to my mom, you ask? She grew up to be a well known Texas artist. She was known for her wonderful bluebonnet landscapes of the Texas Hill Country. She had paintings that hung in the US capitol building, and President Johnson had one of her paintings hanging in his home. She does not paint any more, but is happy, healthy, and living in her country home on the western edge of the Texas Hill Country. She is a wonderful cook. In fact, I will go visit her this afternoon.

10 comments:

  1. Say 'Hello' to her for us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sylvia . . . I will give her your regards. Oops, I can not do that, since she does not know I posted this picture of her :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a very interesting family based on the few examples you have shared with us here. Have a good visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. littlepadre-

    Interesting is one word you could use . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog, its like driving a car, in order to go forward and get where you want to go, its a good idea to check your rear view mirror to see where ya been. Thanks for the great views.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to your Sunday stories! I have told everyone I know about your website!! My favorite story will always be the horse in the house!
    Thanks again for the time you spend entertaining all of us in 'web land'. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Calgal,
    Thanks for the kind words. The old house in that story is still standing. No one lives there, and it is in pretty poor shape. It is used during hunting season as a cabin by the hunters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very interesting blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!
    found your blog while looking for some nice old pics (googled). just wanted you to know that i really like your blog and i will follow this one for sure :)

    best regards/Annalena Sweden/Stockholm

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely love this photo and the story behind it. Thanks for posting it

    ReplyDelete