Friday, February 22, 2008

Eating Watermelon

Nothing better on a hot summer day than a good slice of watermelon. This picture was taken in 1909, and shows children enjoying watermelon after a swim.

Now this might just be my imagination, but I think watermelons tasted better when I was a kid than they do now. You know the ones you bought from the farmer with a stand on the side of the road? The ones in the grocery stores these days are a little bland. It has been a long time since I have had a really good watermelon.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe if you tried an organic watermelon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon,
    You might be right. I think it also matters when the watermelons are picked. The farmer with the roadside stand picks them at the optimum ripeness. The ones in the grocery store, I think, are not ripe enough. I really like the produce at Whole Foods . . . unfortunately, I can not afford to shop there (except on special occasions) Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shalom Paul,
    You might enjoy looking at the series of old photos and fascinating captions from the Middle East at
    http://www.ynetnews.com/headlines/1,7340,L-4740-15959,00.html.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or maybe you try a SQUARE watermelon?!
    Pics at
    http://archives.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/east/06/15/square.watermelon/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, square watermelon, that is a little creepy. Also, the article said the watermelon was $82. Out of my budget.

    ReplyDelete