Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Ship Wreck

Did you ever have a day like this? Anyway, I found this photograph interesting. When I first saw it I was curious how the ship could have possibly ended up on the rocks like this. I did a little research and found that the ship was the S.S. Princess May. The ship belonged to the Canadian Pacific Railway. On August 5, 1910 the vessel hit a reef near Alaska. It became stuck on the reef, and then the tide went out. This left the ship suspended in the air. The passengers were safely unloaded. The ship stayed stuck for over a month, but eventually was repaired, and put back into service.

3 comments:

  1. Oops. I must of forgot to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how dumb can someone get

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in AK and the tides can vertically move more then 25 feet in 6 hours. I personally have been stranded fishing and/or hunting for a few extra hours, it is something you just prepare for. Once I also miscalculated the amount of line to leave out for my anchor and when the tide came in the boat, because of an weird current in that particular area, started drifting out. It didn't get to far away though, so i just swam out to it.

    ReplyDelete