Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Chuck Wagon

This is a nice picture of a cowboy cook with his chuck wagon. The photograph was taken in 1907 on a Texas Ranch. I don't know if you have ever had the chance to eat real cowboy cooking, but let me tell you that it is really good. I grew up on West Texas cowboy cooking. Cowboy food is not about living long, but living large. A chuckwagon like this one would likely be cooking up buttermilk biscuits prepared in a dutch oven on a campfire, beef, lamb, and goat slow cooked over oak coals, hard cured hams, pinto beans, cowboy coffee and even peach cobbler. The food is typically high fat, and high salt. You can bet that this cowboy is not serving up a salad with the meal he is preparing.

5 comments:

  1. Love your old Texas photo. That food does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Site. Part of my daily routine. Has instructive quality somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words. I love looking at old pictures, and wanted to share my enthusiasm for history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..so if its high fat and high salt, a cowboy diet definitely was not and is not (though don't know if cowboys eat still same) healthy? ... Do cowboys live long and healthy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this pic though. Looks real, earthly and natural. Rough, and masculine!

    ReplyDelete