Friday, October 12, 2007

The General

Today we feature a nice portrait of General Robert E. Lee. This time around I don't want to focus on his military legacy, but on his legacy as a Father. There is an interesting story of Lee as a young man. The story occurs long prior to the unpleasantness of 1861. Early one winter morning Robert E. Lee went out for a walk, as was his custom. A light snow had fallen the night before and had left a blanket of snow covering his path. As he walked along the path, he could hear the faint sound of small footsteps behind him. He turned around to find out what it was, and he saw his small child, Custis, following behind him. Custis was imitating his every step, and struggling to ensure that with each step his foot landed in a footprint of his father. "When I saw this," Lee told one of his friends long afterwards, "I said to myself, ’it behooves me to walk very straight when this fellow is already following in my tracks.’ "
Robert E. Lee died on this day, October 12, in the year 1870.

3 comments:

  1. Great photo - so clear!

    Havent been on line much lately, wanted to stop by and say hello. I always like the way you tie your photos into a date so much.

    Thanks again for such an enjoyable photo blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the note. It is amazing how sharp these pictures are from the 1860's.

    ReplyDelete