Friday, August 10, 2007

Office Work

Things have really changed around the office in the last 90 or so years. This is a photo from the 1920's showing a woman working at her desk, typing. Now you just don't see hats and jackets like that anymore. I love the old typewriter. I can remember when I first went to work, there was only one computer for the whole office, and most memos and reports were done by the secretary with a typewriter. I will admit that things moved a lot slower with that system, but I do think people were a little more thoughtful about what they wrote.

5 comments:

  1. it's funny, we were just talking about the "old days" of typewriters in my office yesterday. We still have one for the occasional need that a computer won't work (filling out carbon forms, etc.) but it's getting fewer and further between.

    I agree with anonymous - I love the luxurious clothes. It must have taken an hour just to get dressed with all the buttons and hooks :)

    Wonderful old photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if she really worked in clothes like that. They look pretty warm. Maybe the offices were not well heated back then

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wondr about the clothes. Yes, maybe the office wasn't heated. Anyway, with a typewriter like this, better do not watch carefully what zyou write. There's no "delete" button ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the same woman from the May 3rd "Woman on the Phone" - then noted as Galli Curci, a famous opera singer!! So, no, I don't think they really worked in clothes like that.

    ReplyDelete