Friday, July 20, 2007

Sitting Bull

Today we feature a portrait of famed Sioux chief and warrior Sitting Bull. Sitting Bull is remembered as the man who defeated Custer and his 7th Cavalry. After this 1876 battle, Sitting Bull became a fugitive. Over the next year, US Army forces relentlessly pursued the Sioux, forcing many of the Indians to surrender. Sitting Bull refused to surrender, and escaped into Canada, where he remained in exile for many years, refusing a pardon and the chance to return. Hunger and cold eventually caught up with him, and on this day (July 19th) in 1881, Sitting Bull, his family, and a few remaining warriors surrendered to Army forces.

6 comments:

  1. Paul, this site is fantastic! I think this is my favorite picture of Sitting Bull, and I've seen quite a few. This site is definitely going into my favorites. We may be contacting you again!
    Kristina F from Giant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina,
    Thanks for the note. I also like this picture of Sitting Bull, and also I liked Sitting Bull the Warrior. While the cause of the Native Americans was pretty much lost at the time of the Battle of Little Big Horn, Sitting Bull taught some important lessons on arrogance and overconfidence. I guess I have always been one who pulls for the underdog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love it.. Glad I stumbled onto it


    WJB

    ReplyDelete
  4. WJB
    Thanks for the note . . . it is always good to hear people like these old pictures!
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love photos of Native Americans, and this shot of Sitting Bull is truly breathtaking.

    Paul ~ Since I'm here every day now, thought I'd let you know I added you to my blogroll and gave you a shout out in a post. Your blog should be seen!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clew,
    Thanks for the encouragement. I try hard to find something interesting to put up every day. Your note provides is a real encouragement to keep the effort up.
    Thanks!
    paul

    ReplyDelete